Kimbrel Spring Training

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

All teams will have their share of 1-run wins. Not saying we're relying on it. Just that we'll have less of them than last year. 

We will likely have less next year even if Kimbrel is the same as Bautista..that’s the point. 1 run w/l records aren’t something that carries over year to year.  There is a lot of luck involved there.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We will likely have fewer next year even if Kimbrel is the same as Bautista..that’s the point. 1 run w/l records aren’t something that carries over year to year.  There is a lot of luck involved there.

I don't know if it means anything, but at the very minimum the team should have a strategy to use a different closer if it becomes necessary. Never put all your eggs into one very old basket. 

Who knows, maybe Dillon Tate is back to being the Dillon Tate we knew in 2022 and he could step in when needed to close games? Maybe Cano gets his "bowling ball slider" working and he can close some games? La Roca!

• Upvote 1

One thing to keep in mind many veteran pitchers use spring training as an opportunity to work on a certain pitch(es) or to experiment with their delivery since these games don't count.

If Kimbrel is losing velocity or looks bad in April then it's time to be concerned.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't know if it means anything, but at the very minimum the team should have a strategy to use a different closer if it becomes necessary. Never put all your eggs into one very old basket. 

Who knows, maybe Dillon Tate is back to being the Dillon Tate we knew in 2022 and he could step in when needed to close games? Maybe Cano gets his "bowling ball slider" working and he can close some games? La Roca!

I have no doubt the Orioles will not be married to Kimbrel as the team's primary closer if he's not working out in the role. They'll go by committee or someone else will step up like Bautista did.

Not a surprise that our oldest pitcher is struggling the most and likely threw the least over the offseason.  Same with Burnes.  These guys have been pitching in the MLB for awhile.  I want them to use ST to build their arms up.  I wish we were saying Bradish was struggling right now.  

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I have no doubt the Orioles will not be married to Kimbrel as the team's primary closer if he's not working out in the role. They'll go by committee or someone else will step up like Bautista did.

I don't know.

Teams get really attached to the idea of Closers.

That's a lot of money for the O's to admit they messed up.

I think if he does poor but not terrible he stays in the role.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

For some context... Since 2017, Kimbrel has either a high ST ERA, or hasn't pitched much at all.  Here are his career ST stats,

https://www.mlb.com/player/craig-kimbrel-518886

Looks like business as usual for him.  Even in his dominant years.  

For context....I'm not worried about March, I'm worried about October.

9 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I hope there is something  Orioles  related  to worry about in October.

While I've said repeatedly that I don't think the 2023 team was as good as their record I'll be disappointed if the 2024 team doesn't even manage a WC.

This team should be good enough that the FO should be thinking about what to do in October in March.