Do we overlook Rodriguez now?

Sports Guy

This camp has had a lot of storylines…we have talked about the injuries to Means and, in particular, Bradish.  

We have had a lot of discussion about Burnes. Lots of BP and overall roster talk. Of course Holliday and to a lesser extent Mayo and Cowser are dominating threads.

But there has been little talk about Grayson. 

I think it has become easy to forget that this was the best pitching prospect in baseball, by most people, before the lat injury in 2022. He came up last year and was very inconsistent but after coming up the second time, he was excellent.

The poor playoff start, an offseason and all the new storylines have seemingly pushed him down the list of things to talk about but you can argue that no single player will be more important to the success of the 2024 Os than Grayson will be. 

If he can be the second half Rodriguez, he ends up the year as a top 10 starter, CY vote getter and a big reason we make the playoffs with a chance to win it all 

• Upvote 3

I, for one, haven’t forgotten about Grayson and his importance to our 2024 chances and going forward at all!

We need him to continue to take the step forward that he showed that he can in the second half of the season and become an upper echelon starter. IMO without that and with the absence/uncertainty due to Bradish’s injury, we will be in trouble this season in terms of a legit shot at a WS.

IMO Grayson Rodriguez is one of the most important players on this team. We can absorb/overcome injuries and/or regression with some of our position player talent a little easier because we have so much. But because of the thin nature of top tier pitching talent in the org, we need big things from Grayson!

What's there to discuss?  We need him to be good.

We can wrestle with how good, regression, and progression.  But we know we need him to be the alpha he was projected to be to make a legit playoff push.

• Upvote 1

I was expecting Grayson to be the Orioles best starting pitcher this season before the Burnes trade. I’ll give Burnes the edge based on experience, but I don’t think anyone should be surprised if Grayson is the Orioles #1 starter this season. I’m very excited to see what Grayson can accomplish with a full season in the starting rotation. 

Big season for Grayson. He's looked great at times but the early struggles aren't completely out of my mind. I think we haven't talked about him much only because regression or injury would be so disastrous for the organization it's almost unthinkable. 

Would be cool if MASN was actually showing the game he is starting tonight.  So we could watch him and form opinions and talk about it here.  I guess MASN would of had to negotiate Comcast into a higher tier package to afford a few more spring training games. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Would be cool if MASN was actually showing the game he is starting tonight.  So we could watch him and form opinions and talk about it here.  I guess MASN would of had to negotiate Comcast into a higher tier package to afford a few more spring training games. 

It is not just the Orioles' regional network that isn't broadcasting many ST games. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games?&affiliateID=mlbMENUtv

Look at how few telecasts there are. I'm not saying it's right, but other fans are dealing with the same thing. It's not just MASN.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

It is not just the Orioles' regional network that isn't broadcasting many ST games. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games?&affiliateID=mlbMENUtv

Look at how few telecasts there are. I'm not saying it's right, but other fans are dealing with the same thing. It's not just MASN.

A lot of the RSN's are doing poorly. We probably hit peak spring training broadcast schedule several years ago and it will continue to be pretty blah.  

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think he's overlooked.  I think we're all really just focused on the position battles, Jackson Holliday and maybe the bullpen.

I think we're all wondering if he can put together a full season like he did in the 2nd half of last year.

This is the way. 

As others noted, we haven't gotten to see a lot of Grayson yet this spring. Stats are to date are mixed (they are meaningless at this point, very meaningless, but include a high strikeout rate, yay!, but walks and a homerun).  I think Grayson will have a very good year, but he's probably likely to have streaks of walks and a few homers mixed with streaks of dominance. I don't expect him to be lights out/second half Grayson all year. But of course I hope he's lights out all year.