Jonathon Mayo comments on Os young players

Sports Guy

31 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Beavers was in AA at 21 years old and OPS's .894 over 156 PA'a

Stowers was at Stanford at 21 year old, with a lower OPS

This is a fair point, but I don’t give it that much weight.   in college, Beavers was 8 months younger than Stowers was at the same stage.  Then, Stowers lost the 2020 MiL season to COVID.

Comparing Stowers’ first full year of pro ball to Beavers:

Stowers played 36 games at Aberdeen, .900 OPS (he was 0.1 years older than league average).   Then he played 66 games at Bowie, .938 OPS (0.9 years younger than league average).  He closed the year at Norfolk, with a .773 OPS in 22 games (3.5 years younger than league average).

Beavers played 85 games at Aberdeen with a .832 OPS (1.3 years younger than league average), and 34 games at Bowie at .894 (2.8 years younger than league average).

So, Stowers did better at both Aberdeen and Bowie, and was promoted more quickly during the season, but Beavers was younger at those levels relative to the leagues.

I definitely see the argument for Beavers having the potential to be better than Stowers, I just have my doubts it will happen.  But he’ll have every chance to prove himself in 2024.  With any luck, he’s in Norfolk by June.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

And Dylan Beavers approaching his ETA

People shouldn't forget about Jud Fabian either. 

I'd also like to mention a very under rated player fans rarely ever think about in John Rhodes. Rhodes may only ever be a minor leaguer, but I think he's been showing enough potential to get a cup of coffee at some point and get a good look in the Majors.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is a fair point, but I don’t give it that much weight.   in college, Beavers was 8 months younger than Stowers was at the same stage.  Then, Stowers lost the 2020 MiL season to COVID.

Comparing Stowers’ first full year of pro ball to Beavers:

Stowers played 36 games at Aberdeen, .900 OPS (he was 0.1 years older than league average).   Then he played 66 games at Bowie, .938 OPS (0.9 years younger than league average).  He closed the year at Norfolk, with a .773 OPS in 22 games (3.5 years younger than league average).

Beavers played 85 games at Aberdeen with a .832 OPS (1.3 years younger than league average), and 34 games at Bowie at .894 (2.8 years younger than league average).

So, Stowers did better at both Aberdeen and Bowie, and was promoted more quickly during the season, but Beavers was younger at those levels relative to the leagues.

I definitely see the argument for Beavers having the potential to be better than Stowers, I just have my doubts it will happen.  But he’ll have every chance to prove himself in 2024.  With any luck, he’s in Norfolk by June.

You make a great argument for Beavers

11 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'd also like to mention a very under rated player fans rarely ever think about in John Rhodes. Rhodes may only ever be a minor leaguer, but I think he's been showing enough potential to get a cup of coffee at some point and get a good look in the Majors.

With who?  Rhodes is the type of guy that got a look with the Os 5 years ago to see if maybe he could catch. Hell, Urías, Mateo, Hays are all guys that can be upgraded internally now and are all guys that were the Rhodes type. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

For as deep as our position player pool of talent goes throughout our org, it is equally as thin with top level/promising pitching talent. At some point, the scales have to be balanced in order to produce a complete championship level picture IMO.

This statement sums up what the Orioles situation really is right now.  As I said the other day,  one or more trades are begging to be made.   Hope you agree ME.

46 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Fabian is interesting w/ his glove, speed and power. Could make for a fun 4th OF.

But his K rate is stupid.

I think if we trade Stowers now, we'd be selling low and not get as valuable a return....

I'd love to see him get one prolonged look in the Majors.  If he mashes, we can keep him or flip him for a better return....  (of course that could backfire and he could struggle, reinforce the Quad A label and get less in return...)

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Rhodes seems like the type of guy we forget about until he hits 2 HR in ST and then we talk about him the next day.  Hope I'm wrong!

32 minutes ago, sevastras said:

With who?  Rhodes is the type of guy that got a look with the Os 5 years ago to see if maybe he could catch. Hell, Urías, Mateo, Hays are all guys that can be upgraded internally now and are all guys that were the Rhodes type. 

Hayes was a top 30ish prospect. Rhodes is nowhere near that.

45 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Rhodes seems like the type of guy we forget about until he hits 2 HR in ST and then we talk about him the next day.  Hope I'm wrong!

He gets slept on a little bit.  Had top 10 AVG EV in all minors for month of June last year.  Remember reading this article.  

Former Chattanooga Christian star John Rhodes a key part of Major League Baseball’s top farm system | Chattanooga Times Free Press

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He gets slept on a little bit.  Had top 10 AVG EV in all minors for month of June last year.  Remember reading this article.  

Former Chattanooga Christian star John Rhodes a key part of Major League Baseball’s top farm system | Chattanooga Times Free Press

He gets slept on because he has a .736 OPS as a minor leaguer, .710 In AA.  Yeah he’s got a bit of power when he gets hold of one, but he needs to make good contact more often.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yes they should, unless someone wants to trade for him. People with that type of K rate don’t become MLB players. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He gets slept on because he has a .736 OPS as a minor leaguer, .710 In AA.  Yeah he’s got a bit of power when he gets hold of one, but he needs to make good contact more often.  

For sure.  Didn't impress in AZFL this year either.  He has some tools and at 23 and now avg. age for league he could continue to slowly improve.  I don't think he will make an impact, but he has some tools to work with.