TT: How both Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo can make the opening day roster

Tony-OH

It’s seems like Mayo has been used as a late inning replacement in ST games with few at bats against legitimate major league pitchers.  Holliday seems to have started more games.  From that I think Holliday has the better chance to go north for opening day.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It’s seems like Mayo has been used as a late inning replacement in ST games with few at bats against legitimate major league pitchers.  Holliday seems to have started more games.  From that I think Holliday has the better chance to go north for opening day.

Bb-ref has a spring stat called OppQual that measures the average quality of opposing pitchers a batter has faced.  Holliday is at 7.8, Mayo 7.7.   So, very little difference.  The scale is 10 MLB, 8 AAA, 7 AA, 5 Hi A, 4 Low A.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I think Mayo makes the team only if Urias or Mateo is traded, or if there is an injury to one of the infielders. 

People keep bringing up injuries, what are they going to do if its a 2 week injury stint. Just send Mayo back down again and yank him around 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let me make it clear, I don't think this is going to happen, especially since they seem to want O' Hearn on the team. I'm just saying this is HOW you COULD do it and make it make some sense. 

I don't know how you look Mayo in the eyes and tell him Holliday is making the team and he's not. He's older, has more experienced, and has kind of "earned" his look first, but I do think Holliday is making the team unless they are going for long term control.

Holliday’s glove is more advanced. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think playing at a lower level than their talent warrants might hamper their development?

That’s not the question. The question is which one is worse. Sitting at a higher level or playing at a lower level?  And a corollary question is which way is a better use of service time?

I think for any player you think can be an impact player you want them playing most every day when they come up.   

I’d like to see us move beyond McKenna. But am fine with Mateo and Urias. 

Who do want to make a part time player?

Stowers? Mayo? Kjerstad? Norby?

We need a trade but I get why it hasn’t happened yet.

16 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I just had a thought. If Holliday and Mayo get sent down, and they keep Urias and Mateo? I will be pretty disappointed and the Board might melt down.

Be ready, as I think that's the likely result.  It SHOULDN'T be, but I think it is.