Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Since April 15, he has a 122 wRC+.

His career wRC+ is 107 and it’s been over 100 every year of his career (including right now) except last year..when it was 99.

Only 9 teams in all of baseball have a wRC+ of 100 or higher at second base and only 11 are 100 or higher at third base.

If the O's can get something for Urias, now is the time to move him.  Need Mayo or Holliday up 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Since April 15, he has a 122 wRC+.

His career wRC+ is 107 and it’s been over 100 every year of his career (including right now) except last year..when it was 99.

Only 9 teams in all of baseball have a wRC+ of 100 or higher at second base and only 11 are 100 or higher at third base.

Ramon is a solid player who can play literally the entire infield. The offense is slightly above league average when he's going (and I don't think that you or anyone else on here is arguing against this) but for the O's to take the next step in the progression of rebuild, competing, winning team, playoffs, division winner, playoff winner, title contender, title winner... they have to upgrade solid to good or great everywhere there is an opportunity to do so. That means making difficult decisions to move on from solid veterans who have contributed to the franchise's turnaround - the Ramons, the Hayses (who is still my current favorite Oriole), the Jorges, the Cedrics, etc. etc.

If they aren't going to trade JH for a bonafide TOR arm who is controllable beyond next year, then (and if they think JH is ready) he should be given another opportunity to play everyday at the highest level. We know they stagger promotions to not have to manage multiple rookies (and it would at least appear that Cowser may be coming out of that prolonged slump) so the timing might be right for JH or Mayo, whichever of the two are more ready to contribute, who are not being dealt. This impacts Ramon's playing time as much as anyone else. I also think that a move like the above may be pushed off until after the season because it likely sets some dominoes in motion with Jorge and perhaps even Mountcastle.

Ramon has helped keep the O's afloat this year when they have struggled. He's had some big moments this season and I don't openly advocate for moving him because of his versatility and that he's played pretty well since he struggled out of the gate but something has to give with this logjam of MLB guys and prospects and Ramon may very well be the one who is on the outside looking in when all is said and done. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Goob said:

Jackson Holliday will not be 21 until after the season.  His number in AAA for the year:

• .280 batting average
  • .448 OBP with 74 walks versus 69 strikeouts
  • .500 SLG with 34 extra base hits in 246 ABs, 1 every 7.24 ABs, Gunnar is at 1 every 8.5 ABs this year
  • He has scored 73 runs in 67 games
  • In July he has a .333/.492/.689/1.181 slash line
  • His career OPS is .941

Gunnar's OPS at Norfolk was .894 at age 21 before he was called up.  Adley's OPS at Norfolk was .819 at age 24 before he was called up.  Anyone even considering trading this kid is out of their minds and way overvaluing 34 at bats.

He will be the second baseman as soon as they are sure his elbow is fine.

I think that you are attempting to convince this board of something that we all know. I don't believe that any reasonable poster has suggested that JH isn't going to hit or be fine at the ML. You should distance yourself from anyone who believes that 34 Major League ABs (as a 20 year old) is who he is as a player.

But you should also be willing to see the forest through the trees. Any consideration of trading JH goes beyond what I mention above and what you listed. I posted some of the following the other day to another member of the board but I'll go a little bit further with it.

Gunnar is the SS for the Orioles for the next however many years that he decides. He's two years older than Holliday. Their defensive profiles are very different. Jackson Holliday is not pushing Gunnar to third. I've been saying this for almost two years now.

What all of this comes down to is between JH and Mayo, which player's defense at their current MiLB position is more stomachable. I say that it's Mayo. Looking at both players and how they project (not just looking at them as current players) Mayo looks to me like he's more likely to stick at third than Holliday looks like he'll stick in the infield and it isn't solely because of the two of them alone. The entire makeup of the organization factors into this.

Basallo still projects as a catcher but where does he play when he isn't catching or DHing? First Base. Where does Adley play if he isn't catching or DHing? First Base. Where does Kjerstad end up if he isn't moved? First Base. And so on and so on. In three years, they are going to have three guys who probably end up at 1B either because they are not good defensive players elsewhere (Kjerstad is in fact a hack in the outfield) or to save their legs (Adley and Basallo). If Mayo is on the roster, he simply cannot occupy innings at First unless one of the three guys above are moved or unless he is moved.

And where does JW fit into all of this? His defense is better than JH's right now and will always be better. If JW and Mayo are on the roster, where does JH fit in the infield? His defense at 2B is not better than Mayo's defense at 3B. Do they move him to the OF like I have speculated for almost two years? If I am ME and Co. and I fully intended to keep Holliday in the organization I would have him log innings in centerfield instead of showcasing him in the infield where he doesn't offer better defense than any of Gunnar, JW, Mateo, Urias or even Mayo (in my opinion). JW and Gunnar graduated through the minors together and are close and have good rapport up the middle. I see JW's defense at 2B on par with what Gunnar does at SS if JW stops bouncing between Third and Second. 

So, where does JH fit into the team going forward? To me, he doesn't. This has nothing to do with his 34 ABs this year. This doesn't even have anything to do with the defensive limitations that I have been very outspoken about for nearly two years. This has to do with the overall health and makeup of the entire organization and what is best for them to pursue a Championship at the highest level while maintaining a strong enough pipeline to sustain the winning culture that ME and Co. have worked so hard to rebuild. If JH is the headliner of a deal to acquire a top flight starter (and to be clear, this is the ONLY way that I would trade him) it allows the O's to preserve more of the strength of the organization, which is their prospect pipeline. Whether it is Skubel or another bonafide starter, JH as the headliner means not having to include other (or more) top prospects.

I still have JH as the top prospect in the O's system but Mayo and Basallo have closed that gap for me. Not because of the dozen or so games for Holliday in the bigs but because the other two guys are developing and both look like they're going to be extremely productive major leaguers. Yes, they are all still prospects and until they prove themselves at the big league level, that is all that they are to the O's. But if a deal to acquire a controllable (this year + 2 more years), legitimate TOR pitcher meant having to choose between dealing the #3, #5, #8, #13 and #20 Prospects or the #1, #5 and #11 Prospects, I'm trading Holliday, Norby and Fabian before I trade Mayo, Norby, Povich, Max Wagner and Joshua Liranzo.

At the end of the day it may be just as much a numbers game as anything else. Would it sting to give up Jackson Holliday? Of course it would and I am not openly advocating to move him or suggesting that I don't like the player. I've made Robinson Cano comps to him. But for the next three years, the O's would be better with a TOR starter, Mayo at 3B and JW at 2B than they would be with JW at 3B, Holliday at 2B, Mayo not getting ABs.. and not acquiring a TOR starter.

Like it or not that is the reality and why I think that Holliday makes more sense to move for that bonafide TOR, controllable starter. 

Edited by banks703

Interesting that you have more faith at Mayo at 3B vs. Holliday at 2B. Mayo is pretty poor at 3B. His future feels more like a 1B/DH type. I just don't think all the hubbub in the preseason about his changed arm slot has made enough of a difference. He has improved, but not enough to be a regular at 3B in the majors. The guy has a very strong arm, but that's only one part of the equation. I really hope he improves as I'd love to see him at the hot corner for the O's.

Holliday was very solid at 2B last year. I have a sneaking suspicion that his inflammation in his throwing arm as well as performance at the majors have played into t hings this year. I'm a lot more bullish on his future at 2B than Mayo at 3B. Mayo feels more like the future at 1B for the O's. I don't think you can put him at 3B this year without some clear liability there. Westburg would be so much steadier there, IMHO. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

12 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Interesting that you have more faith at Mayo at 3B vs. Holliday at 2B. Mayo is pretty poor at 3B. His future feels more like a 1B/DH type. I just don't think all the hubbub in the preseason about his changed arm slot has made enough of a difference. He has improved, but not enough to be a regular at 3B in the majors. The guy has a very strong arm, but that's only one part of the equation. I really hope he improves as I'd love to see him at the hot corner for the O's.

Holliday was very solid at 2B last year. I have a sneaking suspicion that his inflammation in his throwing arm as well as performance at the majors have played into t hings this year. I'm a lot more bullish on his future at 2B than Mayo at 3B. Mayo feels more like the future at 1B for the O's. I don't think you can put him at 3B this year without some clear liability there. Westburg would be so much steadier there, IMHO. 

Again, I think it's as much about the overall construction of the big league team. For me, Coby Mayo is Troy Glaus, only with Alex Rodriguez playing next to him at SS vs. David Eckstein. Gunnar's excellent defense at SS would help Mayo at Third more than it would help Holliday at 2B, where, frankly, I don't love how JH feeds or receives DPs but that's a topic for another conversation. I think where Holliday ends up (if he isn't dealt for a legit, controllable TOR starter) depends as much on the other guys in Baltimore as it does him. As I mentioned in the previous post, I would put Holliday in Center and let his athleticism figure it out. The Pads did it with Jackson Merrill and look at how that's working out for them. Personally, I think that Holliday is the better overall athlete (save for the arm) but his sticking at 2B may be further out of his control/performance than most realize.

I watch A LOT of the affiliates and Mayo's defense is not as bad as the E's have indicated. He actually has great hands and his lateral movement is really good for a kid his size, who is still growing into his frame. He's all arms and legs but he's gotten better every year at Third and the power potential and where he slots into the lineup this year and going forward is otherworldly. I just think that what he does as a 3B will make a greater impact on the team's overall success than JH's as a 2B. And I feel very strongly about that. 

Edited by banks703

15 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Holliday was +3 OAA in his time on the big league club at 2B. Jordan Westburg is -6 OAA at 2B, but yes, that post you responded to was right. Westburg is going to be the far superior 2B defensively lol. Unreal.

Edited by Malike

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Holliday was +3 OAA in his time on the big league club at 2B. Jordan Westburg is -6 OAA at 2B, but yes, that post you quoted was right. Westburg is going to be the far superior 2B defensively lol. Unreal.

People have really allowed a SSS and a bum elbow completely change their thoughts of Holliday. It’s so weird and they are all going to look so dumb very soon imo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People have really allowed a SSS and a bum elbow completely change their thoughts of Holliday. It’s so weird and they are all going to look so dumb very soon imo.

Everyone is a professional talent evaluator I guess. The leg kick will never let him hit a fastball at the ML level!

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Holliday was +3 OAA in his time on the big league club at 2B. Jordan Westburg is -6 OAA at 2B, but yes, that post you responded to was right. Westburg is going to be the far superior 2B defensively lol. Unreal.

You peanut gallery'd this the other day.. OAA is ... uh ... yeah  

Mateo is the 26th best defensive 2B according to OAA. So, there's that. Use OAA as Gospel if you want.

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

You peanut gallery'd this the other day.. OAA is ... uh ... yeah  

Mateo is the 26th best defensive 2B according to OAA. So, there's that. Use OAA as Gospel if you want.

If the choice is between OAA and

Looking at both players and how they project (not just looking at them as current players) Mayo looks to me like he's more likely to stick at third than Holliday looks like he'll stick in the infield and it isn't solely because of the two of them alone

I'll take OAA.

How much have you seen Mayo play at third?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I've been extremely consistent with my opinion of the kid since he was drafted and we've had our debates and back and forth about it. With respect to what we have disagreed upon, I've been pretty spot-on about what I've posted about him as a player whereas your arguments always just go back to that he was drafted as a SS so he must be a SS or you resort to ad hominem. 

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Everyone is a professional talent evaluator I guess. The leg kick will never let him hit a fastball at the ML level!

Professional? No. High School and Collegiately? Yes. 

Yeah, I liked the idea of Mayo at 3B and Holliday maybe in CF but I was just coming around to the realization that Westburg at 3B and Holliday at 2B was the best future alignment which would make one of Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad more tradeable.    I have more confidence in Holliday as a 2B than Mayo as a 3B moving forward and Westburg looks better at 3B.

• Upvote 1