2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

Mullins needs a day off. This is what happens when you leave top prospects like Mayo and Norby in AAA. If one of them were here you could put Mateo in CF.

I went into the series saying I'd be happy w/ a split w the state of this bullpen. But after winning the first 2 games, it would be a real shame if you can't win today, esp after you couldn't even win last night w/ Burnes starting.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only thing I will say to this, in defense of anyone who doesn’t like it, is that it does suck knowing we could have a lineup today of more talented players but the team has too many “vets they like” and those guys are blocked.

When you see lineups with several guys like Mateo (who is doing a good job in a reduced role), McKenna, McCann, et al or does make you clamor for them to bring up the better players.

Who's better than McCann? Maverick Handley? Basallo who has an OPS of .716 and just started catching again the other day?

Is having McKenna starting in CF any worse than NY having Grisham starting? He's at .080 and a whooping .433 OPS. Mullins can't play everyday. The team is left handed heavy so there's going to be some wonky lineups.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

Is having McKenna starting in CF any worse than NY having Grisham starting? He's at .080 and a whooping .433 OPS. Mullins can't play everyday. The team is left handed heavy so there's going to be some wonky lineups.

I thought he was only starting because Verdugo was on paternity leave. Is Grisham starting today? I don't know their lineup for today.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I thought he was only starting because Verdugo was on paternity leave. Is Grisham starting today? I don't know their lineup for today.

Stanton is sitting, Judge is DH.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think McCann playing 110 games at Catcher is the same player that he is playing 50 games a year?

I don’t know, but it’s irrelevant, I think.

what matters is that he is doing well for us, and would probably outperform a lot of starters. Teams would have to manage him, but that’s true of all starting catchers.

I just looked up performance to this point in the season, and as a starter, McCann is ranked 30th, and AR is ranked sixth, so he’s not as good as I had thought, although I’m not sure how the breakdown between D and O factored in these rankings.

But he’s an excellent backup and a valuable companion to AR.

Edited by Philip
Addendum

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

I forgot Verdugo was on the team.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

When I was digging into splits and stats last night, as armchair manager I came up with a lineup very similar to this. My only difference was I was willing to keep Cedric in for defense and my toss up decision was between Cowser or McKenna. Career number suggest McKenna could handle a LHP, but his 2024 numbers suggest he would not be any upgrade over a left on left rookie. Cedric's numbers vs LHP like Rodon is not good either. Cowser has been inconsistent and streaky so it's tough to know what to expect from him. He's been striking out alot lately.

My other question was who to bat in #5. I was thinking either Westburg, or McCann. They chose Westburg. Probably the right decision. Mateo is a late lineup lightning bolt / spark vs a lefty. I think we will benefit from his playing time today.

The numbers don't lie, and I have no problems with this lineup.

The numbers don't lie.