2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I want them to win every game, but that's not going to happen. Win or lose today, they're still the team that's going to win the AL East. We have to have lineups like this in order to do that.

I don't want them to win every game.

It would be tiresome to watch and the media would be just unbearable.

I just want two things.

For them to make the playoffs.

Win the last game they play.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only thing I will say to this, in defense of anyone who doesn’t like it, is that it does suck knowing we could have a lineup today of more talented players but the team has too many “vets they like” and those guys are blocked.

When you see lineups with several guys like Mateo (who is doing a good job in a reduced role), McKenna, McCann, et al or does make you clamor for them to bring up the better players.

You have to factor in the adjustment period. Is Jackson Holliday a better player than Mateo? Hopefully, that would be the appropriate answer in my estimation. Is he the better player right now? He didn't appear to be. I have little doubt the same would hold true with Mayo, Norby, and whomever.  You can't simply drop McCann as if he's taking a roster spot from Basallo.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Anybody saying they hate this lineup must not have been watching games in 2021 and early 2022.  Hate is a pretty strong word for lineups that include Henderson, Rutschman, Santander, Mountcastle, Cowser, Westburg.  The other three hardly matter in comparison to the lineups just a couple seasons ago.

People have become very spoiled, very quickly.

Pat Valaika should be here somewhere.

Jus’ sayin’

McCann is on a roll this season and he's got the best career success vs Rodon of any Orioles hitter on the roster. I figured he would start. It's a good decision.

Although I willing also take that and also consider that Rutchsman and Bradish have really good chemistry as a battery so I don't know how pitching to McCann will affect Bradish's performance, if at all. Adley has been known to steal a few strikes for his pitchers with his framing. But McCann has been really good too in his own way like several of his games catching for Grayson Rodriguez last season.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

About Mcann, btw. Not only is the best back up catcher and all baseball, but he could start on most teams. I am quite happy to have him.

Hes not Tyler Teagarden

Do you think McCann playing 110 games at Catcher is the same player that he is playing 50 games a year?

9 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

While partly true, at some point we have to stop referring to the 'dark days' as the measuring stick for how things should be.  Just because our 'average' lineup today crushes what we had a few years ago doesn't mean that we can't improve on what we currently have, or discuss when things are less than optimal.  

I hear you but we're not talking about ancient history here.  The lineup from just 2 years ago to the day had guys like Rougned Odor, Robinson Chirinos, and Tyler Nevin as its 'worst' players.  Nevin batted fifth!

I just think its important to provide context to these lineups.  Mateo is arguably the worst player in the lineup when he's in there (debatable today w/ McKenna in there too).  He was at MOST the fourth worst in that 5/2/22 lineup.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL202205020.shtml

If you start with following assumptions:

- McCann catches to give Rutchman a break

- Hyde is only comfortable playing Kjerstad in RF or DH

- Hyde is only comfortable playing Santander in RF, 1B, or DH

- Hyde is only comfortable playing Mayo and Mountcastle at 1B or DH

- Holliday and Norby are currently only options for 2B

Then it follows that:

- Kjerstad could only replace Santander, Mountcastle, or Rutchman

- Mayo could only replace Mountcastle or Rutchman

- Norby and Holliday could only replace Mateo

- McKenna playing CF or not has no effect on any of the top prospects. There are four options for LF and CF - Mullins, Cowser, McKenna, and Mateo - of which Hyde gets to pick two.

When I was digging into splits and stats last night, as armchair manager I came up with a lineup very similar to this. My only difference was I was willing to keep Cedric in for defense and my toss up decision was between Cowser or McKenna. Career number suggest McKenna could handle a LHP, but his 2024 numbers suggest he would not be any upgrade over a left on left rookie. Cedric's numbers vs LHP like Rodon is not good either. Cowser has been inconsistent and streaky so it's tough to know what to expect from him. He's been striking out alot lately.

My other question was who to bat in #5. I was thinking either Westburg, or McCann. They chose Westburg. Probably the right decision. Mateo is a late lineup lightning bolt / spark vs a lefty. I think we will benefit from his playing time today.

The numbers don't lie, and I have no problems with this lineup.

And none of this factors in the slop that other good teams are rolling out in the bottom half of their lineups.  Imagine if Trent Grisham and Oswaldo Cabrera (in spite of his HR yesterday) were starting every day for the O's the way they have been for the Yankees.  Grisham while batting below .100.  Here's the bottom of the Dodgers lineup from just yesterday:

2 1 1 1 2 0 .078 .304
4 1 1 1 0 1 .240 .647

You can't roll out 9 All Stars, no one can.  The Braves are probably the closest, and even they are rolling out a couple of iffy players semi-regularly.

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

If you start with following assumptions:

- McCann catches to give Rutchman a break

- Hyde is only comfortable playing Kjerstad in RF or DH

- Hyde is only comfortable playing Santander in RF, 1B, or DH

- Hyde is only comfortable playing Mayo and Mountcastle at 1B or DH

- Holliday and Norby are currently only options for 2B

Then it follows that:

- Kjerstad could only replace Santander, Mountcastle, or Rutchman

- Mayo could only replace Mountcastle or Rutchman

- Norby and Holliday could only replace Mateo

- McKenna playing CF or not has no effect on any of the top prospects. There are four options for LF and CF - Mullins, Cowser, McKenna, and Mateo - of which Hyde gets to pick two.

Do you write the LSAT for a living?