Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

15 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Bear in mind....... this was the Angels.  I'm tempering my optimism, personally.

I mean, the Angels aren’t THAT bad.  Fangraphs has them at 78 wins.

They have plenty of professional hitters in their lineup. 

Edited by ArtVanDelay

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

The game's not over, but Burnes' outing is. And what a debut. Only Trout could touch him. 

6 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 11 K.

Money … Hopefully Rubbenstein is motivated to try to get a deal done.

58 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not sure if this was rhetorical or not, but the answer is that we’ve had two games with 12 Ks (John Means x2) and three games with 11 Ks (Kyle Gibson x2 and Kyle Bradish) in the last 5 years.

Sort of wild seeing Kyle Gibson on that list twice. Not at the top of many “Corbin Burnes comps” lists…

Thanks for looking that up. I was not expecting an answer although I was curious. I would have guessed at least a couple more just due to sheer luck if nothing else. Maybe 11+ K's on a consistent basis should be part of the criteria for Ace designation. 

12 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I mean, the Angels aren’t THAT bad.  Fangraphs has them at 78 wins.

They have plenty of professional hitters in their lineup. 

Yeah, no way that happens. They’re really bad. I’ll be surprised if they win 70. 

8 hours ago, G54377 said:

I sneakily think the Angels will be the worst team in baseball this year, but man Burnes was dealing.

The Angels have a pretty good lineup. Just a combo of old and young.

It’s actually a good thing that Trout hit the bomb and Hyde/Burnes didn’t have to deal with the No No. 

This dude is a stud. Talk about the perfect dude to have around our young pitchers. Especially Grayson. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

This dude is a stud. Talk about the perfect dude to have around our young pitchers. Especially Grayson. 

I think our younger pitchers can learn a lot from Burnes.  Lyles and Gibson were solid veteran pros and good mentors, but Burnes is an alpha dog and our guys can see what it takes.   

Velo and spin rates on all of his cutter, slider and curve were up a tick compared to last year. Burnes’ velo had been eroding the last couple years so that’s a great sign.

Burnes’ ability to spin the ball is crazy - truly one of the elite in the game at that. He’s around 3000 RPMs on both breaking balls and 2750 on the cutter yesterday. He’s going to be so fun to watch this year. 

14 hours ago, waroriole said:

Nah, uncle Dave is gonna let us keep our new toy. 

I'll be very surprised if Burnes gets offered a LT deal before Adley and Gunnar. Heck even GRod or Holliday.