Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

11 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

The money is not mine, it's the new ownership's. But if they are serious about putting a winning team (back) in Baltimore, at some point they are going to have to spend.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! Corbin Burnes is a rare commodity in MLB a true ace/top of the rotation pitcher where when he is on the mound the other team is NEVER at a competitive advantage (no matter the opponent).

I'm not for giving him a 10 year contract at his age. But 6 or 7 years, I'm all for paying him market value. If you let him leave, he walks into Boston and all of a sudden they are no longer a celler dweller. And we simultaneously have a HUGE hole in our rotation to fill. Yes we have Bradish coming back, but a rotation with Bradish, Burnes, Grayson is the type of team that keeps us dominant/in World Series contention/on par with the Braves/Dodgers of the world, for years to come.

In addition, IMO if we want to grow/throw in this market you have to make statements like this to your fanbase. You have to have stars who the team is invested in and market around those players.

45 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

In addition, IMO if we want to grow/throw in this market you have to make statements like this to your fanbase. You have to have stars who the team is invested in and market around those players.

We do have stars.  Adley and Gunnar are already stars.  Jackson and Grayson won't be far behind.  Wins, flags, and rings are bigger statements than marquee signings.

It'll be interesting to see if they go with a Norfolk Slaughterhouse roster build with more known risk factors or if they ratchet up the risk factor with long term TOR contracts to supplement the core for a traditional build.

Before even considering into additional budget given Forbes report and new ownership willingness to spend, Elias has ~$25M available next year given departures of Kimbrel and Santander.  So there is definitely $$$ to sign Burnes in the near-term. 

35 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

We do have stars.  Adley and Gunnar are already stars.  Jackson and Grayson won't be far behind.  Wins, flags, and rings are bigger statements than marquee signings.

It'll be interesting to see if they go with a Norfolk Slaughterhouse roster build with more known risk factors or if they ratchet up the risk factor with long term TOR contracts to supplement the core for a traditional build.

They both a very important to growing a fanbase. It's not an either/or proposition IMO.

IMO in order to be a serious contender for a championship, you have to have difference making starting pitching.

Lastly, IMO we should be able to sign 2 out of the 3 of Adley, Jackson, and Gunnar; even if we give Burnes a market deal at 6- 7. The rest of the roster is supper cheap AND Elias/Sig appear to be able to draft and develop at an elite level. Meaning we can realistically expect to replace the non-superstars on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They both a very important to growing a fanbase. It's not an either/or proposition IMO.

IMO in order to be a serious contender for a championship, you have to have difference making starting pitching.

Lastly, IMO we should be able to sign 2 out of the 3 of Adley, Jackson, and Gunnar; even if we give Burnes a market deal at 6- 7. The rest of the roster is supper cheap AND Elias/Sig appear to be able to draft and develop at an elite level. Meaning we can realistically expect to replace the non-superstars on the cheap.

You're putting a ton of hope in the owner change and less in the ongoing concern of risk/reward management.  It's exciting.  Enjoy.

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The dude is a horse. Doesn’t walk hitters. Doesn’t play around. His ball seems heavy. It reminds me of when we had Kevin Brown for that one season.

Burnes is the one we should extend. 

What I find interesting about him is so far he kind of doesn't get whiffs until he has 2 strikes, and then suddenly here's an even-more-wicked version of whatever pitch. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but I love it because he's either getting early contact outs, or he gets you to 2 strikes and then gets the K. 

On your second point, again, it's hard to get past his very firm stated interest in testing FA. That seems like a lock, and why wouldn't he? Also, pitchers are scary when it comes to extensions. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The dude is a horse. Doesn’t walk hitters. Doesn’t play around. His ball seems heavy. It reminds me of when we had Kevin Brown for that one season.

Burnes is the one we should extend. 

The Dude abides....

From the stands it didn't look like he had his best stuff/command going today.  But like Grayson's last turn, made it work.  Some hard contact with good defense and some bad contact where we couldn't do anything.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

From the stands it didn't look like he had his best stuff/command going today.  But like Grayson's last turn, made it work.  Some hard contact with good defense and some bad contact where we couldn't do anything.

Our defense was the main culprit. Horrible execution on the double steal, plus the throwing error that allowed a run.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Our defense was the main culprit. Horrible execution on the double steal, plus the throwing error that allowed a run.

It was a bad decision by Rutschman.   Holliday caught a low throw and had no chance at the runner going home.  Ben MacDonald blowing more hot air about Holliday possibly not looking up fast enough.   You have to catch the ball first Ben.

Burnes is the guy that should be extended. I know I know it’s easy to throw out “extend him” with every player we love, but with how our org is setup it makes sense to extend Burnes. 

Elias can consistently draft and develop bats.  We can fill bats in around Burnes over the next 7 years or whatever it takes.  Honestly, those bats are probably already in our system.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Burnes is the guy that should be extended. I know I know it’s easy to throw out “extend him” with every player we love, but with how our org is setup it makes sense to extend Burnes. 

Elias can consistently draft and develop bats.  We can fill bats in around Burnes over the next 7 years or whatever it takes.  Honestly, those bats are probably already in our system.  

Why do you think he will agree to an extension? He's stated over and over that he is adamant about testing free agency, and he should be. You might as well field offers from everyone, including the Orioles, instead of just the Orioles.