Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

8 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Burnes has that *dawg* in him.  It was fun to watch him battle.  Excited for the next “Corbin Burnes day.”

Despite yesterday’s low strikeouts, his stuff was solid in terms of movement/spin and still got 13 swings & misses (btw more than his debut vs Angels of 12 and same number as Ragan’s last night)

But I thought he/McCann were getting too predictable in terms of pitch locations, and not as varied in quadrants.  Against, KC it seemed nearly everything to righties was low/away whereas against LAA he went up in the zone more with cutter and didnt try to spike the curveball below the zone all the time.  Here are the baseball-savant illustrators from these two games.

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

I wasn't at the game but watch both on TV. His stuff was much better against the Angels. My suspicion is that his FB was not there last night like it was against the Angels. You gotta dance with the girl you got.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

Took Corbin 2-3 innings to home in, but once he did, the Red Sox were helpless today. 7 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 2 BB, 6 K’s.   Only 90 pitches in 7 innings.   Once the shadows got to home plate, it seemed the Sox really weren’t seeing him at all.   

12 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Scary to think what our record would be if wasn’t here. I still believe we need another trade for a pitcher.

If Bradish comes back and is effective we may not need to. We'll certainly know by the deadline what the status is for him.

I love that he wasn't as sharp in the first 3 or 4 innings and didn't have his best command, but worked around it with only one run until he got going. That's a defining quality of an ace.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Scary to think what our record would be if wasn’t here. I still believe we need another trade for a pitcher.

We are too heavy right now with him and Grayson. But the Orioles have chosen to go the route of waiting for the injured Bradish and Means instead of adding one of the shorter term FAa that were available at the end of free agency. Fortunately we have the ammo to pull off any trade for a SP if needed at the deadline.

It sure is fun to watch Burnes work. 

Realistically, I know it doesn't make a ton of financial sense to try and keep him around, with all the talented young players on the roster. And yet,I am starting to want to sign him anyway. Unreasonable contracts are easy from the arm chair here at home, and it's a good daydream...

It is awful nice to have a stud like CB. I agree with everyone who wants to sign him but I assume he goes elsewhere for way more money than we will pay. But maybe the man really likes crabcakes and the sprinkler and Mr. Splash. It could happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

We are too heavy right now with him and Grayson. But the Orioles have chosen to go the route of waiting for the injured Bradish and Means instead of adding one of the shorter term FAa that were available at the end of free agency. Fortunately we have the ammo to pull off any trade for a SP if needed at the deadline.

Kremer has looked very good so far.  Wells was pretty good in start 1, shaky in start 2.  Irvin has only started once, and looked mediocre.  Overall, before today, our starters had the 8th best ERA in MLB (3.25) and were 2nd best in IP/start.  Needless to say, today’s effort only helps that.  I’d gladly take the performance of our rotation to date all year, and that’s before Means and Bradish have returned.   

• Upvote 2