Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

Aside from the appreciation of watching a real #1 go to work (something we haven't had in decades), my thought about Burnes 2025+ / Elias / Rubenstein is that while I don't think ME is ever going to be of the Brian Cashman variety of GMs that just throw money at problems, he could prove to be the type that will spend big when he thinks the ROI will be there. 2024 could be the long, up-close look at Burnes that ME needs to tell Rubenstein that he's worth the investment if the money doesn't get too stupid. And it probably will, but this last offseason was a strange one for the top of the SP market. 

Let's say we sign him to 6 additional years and he spends 7 as an Oriole counting this year, if we manage to win 2 championships with him under contract, I think that's a great return. Basically, my thought is to sign him for the full run of the youngsters and have him be the anchor of the pitching staff the whole time. This dude is built to have a long career.

18 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Velo and spin rates on all of his cutter, slider and curve were up a tick compared to last year. Burnes’ velo had been eroding the last couple years so that’s a great sign.

Burnes’ ability to spin the ball is crazy - truly one of the elite in the game at that. He’s around 3000 RPMs on both breaking balls and 2750 on the cutter yesterday. He’s going to be so fun to watch this year. 

And he made it look effortless.  You can tell he had plenty more in the tank when it comes to his fastball velo, but there was no need to push it yesterday.  He'll easily be able to crank it up in the big games.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

I didn't realize his curveball was that good. He threw a lot of great ones of both the ball-to-strike and strike-to-ball variety.

Yeah I had no idea. The curve was awesome, maybe my favorite pitch he was throwing. Making people look silly with it. 

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I will be interested in all his starts

Yeah, that sums it up well. All his starts are must watch. 

In one of the various preseason prediction articles on the Athletic, someone predicted  he would win the CYA. With Cole out for a bit, that seems to be a possible outcome. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

“Want to prove you’re serious about winning? Don’t let Burnes make it to free agency. Don’t let the pitcher this team has been chasing for decades walk after one year. It’s only been one start, but I’ve seen enough.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/having-an-actual-ace-is-pretty-sweet-isnt-it/

Thanks for the share. I love this statement. But Burnes will have something to say about it too and he's been pretty consistent + transparent in expressing his intent/desire to test free agency.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Thanks for the share. I love this statement. But Burnes will have something to say about it too and he's been pretty consistent + transparent in expressing his intent/desire to test free agency.

Sure, but the O’s could win the bidding.  

16 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I will be interested to see how he does next start. There's a lot of adrenaline on opening day with a new team. 

He seems like one of those great pitchers whose main attribute is incredible focus and directed intensity of performance.. enables the repetition of performance..

the TOR types  all have that.. he is our first since Mussina that has that 

• Upvote 1