Bullpen 2024

5 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

I don’t really see how Irvin offers much to the BP.  We need guys with good stuff plus numbers.  Need Ks.  Good fastballs.  Suarez OTOH could be useful.

He would be a long man. I get your point but he has some value. 

Akin has done zero to deserve optioning, but in the middle of the game I probably wouldn't have minded if they rode him as long as he was racking up outs and cycled him out tomorrow if necessary.

Another great You Can't Predict Baseball moment as Tyler Nevin is key for his team on a 4-3 week through New York and Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2024 at 4:28 PM, Spy Fox said:

I agree that I'd like to see more. I think a trade for a relief piece will happen before the deadline. When, and how big an addition it is, depends on the ripple effects of how well the Means, Bradish, and Wells recoveries go. 

We need the trade way before the deadline, we need it ASAP!!

On 4/24/2024 at 10:20 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Players that can be DFA (in order, from quickest to trying to hold on to them longer)...

1. David Benuelos

2. Jonathan Heasley

3. Yohan Ramirez

4.Kaleb Ort

5. Toss up after that and you'd prefer not having to expose the other guys to waivers. Although some long time names in the organization do become vulnerable at this point in the list.

The 40 man isn't the problem. Ramirez is the only one on the active roster. Need to option or DFA two more guys to make room for all of Perez, Bradish, and Means. 

This is probably observational bias.

It's funny how often overachieving teams have really lock down bullpens and how often otherwise stacked teams are let down by weak bullpens.

It's April but I don't think any of us were not concerned about the bullpen going into the season. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Terrible how Elias didn’t add more to the bullpen after the Kimbrel signing.  

This team would look vastly better with a lockdown bullpen. 

My guess is he didn’t have the money to sign anyone else. Was banking on Wells giving him depth. 

That said …. it’s his team. Another RHP instead of Baumann would really help. Webb and Tate have been fine. They better be going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The 40 man isn't the problem. Ramirez is the only one on the active roster. Need to option or DFA two more guys to make room for all of Perez, Bradish, and Means. 

How soon is Perez back? Did they say something today?

O's are probably going to need to think outside the box here and have someone else pitch the 9th in a save situation every 1 out of 3 times to give Kimbrel a break.  He is never going to last a full year pitching this much.

DL Hall would have been a great guy for that but obviously that is a no go.   Cano I really don't trust in a 9th inning situation.

What about a Suarez?  I have a feeling he could do very well in that role.

Just now, eddie83 said:

My guess is he didn’t have the money to sign anyone else. Was banking on Wells giving him depth. 

That said …. it’s his team. Another RHP instead of Baumann would really help. Webb and Tate have been fine. They better be going forward. 

I guess the lack of talent in the upper minors kept him from being able to make a trade?

• Upvote 1

At least we didn't get swept by the White Sox.

These Kimbrel games probably will be a McKenna drop moment if the AL East ends close but more likely the 162 will produce a decisive result same as last year.

It is a bummer to see the weak performances before what should be some of the most exciting, competitive baseball at OPACY in awhile starting tomorrow night.

Baseball's an entertainment product, and the 2024 Yankees do make a better opponent for fun than the 2023 Rays.

Burn the tape.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess the lack of talent in the upper minors kept him from being able to make a trade?

Sure. That was an option. Will still be an option going forward. 

May have to wanted to see what he had first. I don’t think it’s unreasonable. 

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

At least we didn't get swept by the White Sox.

These Kimbrel games probably will be a McKenna drop moment if the AL East ends close but more likely the 162 will produce a decisive result same as last year.

It is a bummer to see the weak performances before what should be some of the most exciting, competitive baseball at OPACY in awhile starting tomorrow night.

Baseball's an entertainment product, and the 2024 Yankees do make a better opponent for fun than the 2023 Rays.

Burn the tape.

Issue is not really what just happened it’s more about what is to come.

Is Kimbrel healthy or not? Will he need more days off?