Bullpen 2024

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Hyde has not been shy about saying the bullpen needs to be better in his post-games, which says to me the org knows it's an issue. I expect Mike is keenly aware of the weakest part of his team. As he should be since he did virtually nothing to address it, lol. Love Mike overall, but none of what we're seeing is a surprise, and he should have done more. 

All that said, there are a lot of moving parts happening soon, hopefully, if the injured SPs can make it back, and Perez. This feels like a very temporary bullpen right now.

Well, virtually nothing other than devoting the largest free agent spend of his GM tenure to the closer role. 

13 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Well, virtually nothing other than devoting the largest free agent spend of his GM tenure to the closer role. 

A nice move. But it was easy to see a million ways this bullpen was regression-prone and lacking strikeout stuff at the back end. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

A nice move. But it was easy to see a million ways this bullpen was regression-prone and lacking strikeout stuff at the back end. 

I agree that I'd like to see more. I think a trade for a relief piece will happen before the deadline. When, and how big an addition it is, depends on the ripple effects of how well the Means, Bradish, and Wells recoveries go. 

I customized this leaderboard trying to get Mason Miller's 50% K rate into its appropriate Edwin Diaz-Felix Bautista context, and danged across 2022-2024 if 2024 Craig Kimbrel isn't right there in the top tier.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&lg=all&type=1&ind=1&stats=rel&team=0&startdate=&enddate=&month=0&season1=2022&season=2024&qual=10&sortcol=7&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

Should OAK move Miller, I think Edwin Diaz-Jarred Kelenic is one decent example from recent seasons what a Bat for Relief star structure might look like.

Cionel Perez logged a AAA inning tonight as if the roster wasn't getting tight enough as the Bradish-Means rehabs work towards the finish line.   Oriole pitching by July 31 won't be growing like it needs to if some new DFA territory doesn't get broken.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Cionel Perez logged a AAA inning tonight as if the roster wasn't getting tight enough as the Bradish-Means rehabs work towards the finish line.   Oriole pitching by July 31 won't be growing like it needs to if some new DFA territory doesn't get broken.

Players that can be DFA (in order, from quickest to trying to hold on to them longer)...

1. David Benuelos

2. Jonathan Heasley

3. Yohan Ramirez

4.Kaleb Ort

5. Toss up after that and you'd prefer not having to expose the other guys to waivers. Although some long time names in the organization do become vulnerable at this point in the list.

On 4/23/2024 at 1:20 PM, interloper said:

Especially when you factor in the DL Hall trade too.  Suarez and Wells get bumped to the pen only if Bradish and Means are effective starters a decent part of the season.  Would the O's promote Povich or McDermott to pitch relief?  My guess is not anytime soon, but I dunno.

A trade would for one or two arms would be best, but trading for good relief pitching is only harder now because so many teams can make the playoffs.  

2 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

I don’t really see how Irvin offers much to the BP.  We need guys with good stuff plus numbers.  Need Ks.  Good fastballs.  Suarez OTOH could be useful.

We also could use a real long man to soak up innings to prevent the back end guys from being overworked. That's where Irvin could fit really well. Though it's an interesting decision because of the way he's pitched in the rotation recently.