Bullpen 2024

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s been a rough few days for the pen.  After 20 games: 4.37 ERA, 1.214 WHIP, 9.9 K/9, 3.50 K/BB.

I try not to get too down when the pen has a rough patch.   Things haven’t gone well this week.   Hopefully it gets better.  

I thought the decision to bring in Ramirez was odd last night in that spot instead of Webb but Hyde has done that a few times last year with tossing an unproven guy in a tight spot and it worked out.  He threw Cano in there in a late inning close game and he got the job done and proved to be a guy he could trust late innings last year.  He did same with Webb and he did very well down stretch.  He did it with Fuji and he proved he wasn’t a guy to trust and they left him off playoff roster.  I expect that was his thinking last night he is looking to see who he can trust and can’t trust.  Last night it showed maybe he can’t trust him late in close games, better to find out now then to have to use him later in season and him not gotten into those situations.  

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm worried that Cano is nowhere near the guy we had last season. He's been struggling.

Well Cano 1H23 might have been the most dominant reliever in the sport (possibly ever).

So far in 24, he’s been a bit unlucky given ground ball rates and xFIP.  His statcast output numbers for sinker and changeup are as good (if not better) than 23, but slider and limited 4 seamers have been tattooed above 1.000 SLG. 

Yohan Ramirez and Mike Baumann seem like the next two off the island.  Ramirez had some Fuji moments in his last appearance and Baumann continues to frustrate.  Tough to take Suarez out of the rotation but I could see Suarez and Wells replacing those two and that should be a big upgrade.    Nothing happens until Bradish comes back.   Kremer isn’t going anywhere.   The 5th spot goes to Means if he’s back to his old self.  If not it comes down to Irvin, Wells, or Suarez with two going to the bullpen.

• Upvote 2

Starting to believe that Webb is serviceable. Ramirez will be DFA at first need.  Baumann is too inconsistent to feel comfortable with. Akin too. (Although you can probably get by with using Akin in left on left matchups.)  And I'm not exactly confident that Tate can maintain any sort of success because hit metrics make it look like he's lost alot of arm strength. Which is really sad for me because Tate was my favorite Relief Pitcher the Orioles had in 2022 next to Bautista.

I definitely see Wells and Suarez becoming part of the bullpen solution. Though Wells' penchant for giving up home runs makes me wonder how effective he can be in a leverage situation.

Depending on John Means' situation, I think Irivin might stick as a starter for a while so I don't see him in the bullpen anytime soon.

Hyde has not been shy about saying the bullpen needs to be better in his post-games, which says to me the org knows it's an issue. I expect Mike is keenly aware of the weakest part of his team. As he should be since he did virtually nothing to address it, lol. Love Mike overall, but none of what we're seeing is a surprise, and he should have done more. 

All that said, there are a lot of moving parts happening soon, hopefully, if the injured SPs can make it back, and Perez. This feels like a very temporary bullpen right now.

On 4/21/2024 at 12:33 PM, Ripken said:

Hall's been bad in the rotation and now he's banged up.

I thought the whole way Ortiz would be the more valuable guy in the trade. Hall is probably destined to the bullpen, but even there he's not a finished product.

I think we know what we have (and can trust) with Kimbrel, Cano, and Columbe. Perez's health is a big question mark because I think you can generally include him in the list when healthy. Everyone else a mystery, although I usually have faith in Webb.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Hyde has not been shy about saying the bullpen needs to be better in his post-games, which says to me the org knows it's an issue. I expect Mike is keenly aware of the weakest part of his team. As he should be since he did virtually nothing to address it, lol. Love Mike overall, but none of what we're seeing is a surprise, and he should have done more. 

All that said, there are a lot of moving parts happening soon, hopefully, if the injured SPs can make it back, and Perez. This feels like a very temporary bullpen right now.

Yeah we will find out quite a bit over the next several weeks, whether the injured guys can come back and then how the BP shakes out.  

Would Elias ever consider an early strike of the trade market in June — Norby + Johnson for Hunter Harvey reunion?  I kinda like that route because with expanded playoffs more teams will try for WC, so there may not be much available quality out there among the bottom feeders (OAK, MIA, WAS, COL).  And OAK is not trading Mason Miller.

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 1

A deal with Miami makes too much sense to get Scott back and also get one of their young SP. They have the worst offense in the NL and we have position players galore to trade back. 

15 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Yeah we will find out quite a bit over the next several weeks, whether the injured guys can come back and then how the BP shakes out.  

Would Elias ever consider an early strike of the trade market in June — Norby + Johnson for Hunter Harvey reunion?  I kinda like that route because with expanded playoffs more teams will try for WC, so there may not be much available quality out there among the bottom feeders (OAK, MIA, WAS, COL).  And OAK is not trading Mason Miller.

Love the Harvey trade idea. I didn't realize just how good he has been over the last 2+ years