Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

I don’t think he’s gonna be a part of any playoff roster, but kudos for him to rehab all the way back just to be an option for us if needed. 

Also, hopefully now he’s shaken the injury and can have a normal offseason and normal fall instructs. 

He’s a dude that if he could just be another Dean Kremer, would be huge for this org. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2024 at 7:19 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think he’s gonna be a part of any playoff roster, but kudos for him to rehab all the way back just to be an option for us if needed. 

Also, hopefully now he’s shaken the injury and can have a normal offseason and normal fall instructs. 

He’s a dude that if he could just be another Dean Kremer, would be huge for this org. 

Kremer never had those kind of control issues and was two years younger when he arrived in the big leagues. 

McDermott is 26 years old coming off a year in which he walked 5 per nine innings in the minors.  Unless he is going to magically improve his command dramatically in 2025, it's time to try him as a reliever.  

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Kremer never had those kind of control issues and was two years younger when he arrived in the big leagues. 

McDermott is 26 years old coming off a year in which he walked 5 per nine innings in the minors.  Unless he is going to magically improve his command dramatically in 2025, it's time to try him as a reliever.  

I agree. While McDermott as the repertoire of a starter, he'll never have the command to be more than a 4-5 inning starter on most days. He should be converted this spring like they did with Baumann and tell him he's going to be a reliever. 

I think he has closer upside in relief.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. While McDermott as the repertoire of a starter, he'll never have the command to be more than a 4-5 inning starter on most days. He should be converted this spring like they did with Baumann and tell him he's going to be a reliever. 

I think he has closer upside in relief.

I hear you, and that might be what's best for McDermott, but I think we have Bautista, Cano, Dominguez, and Webb as RH RP.  We've been able to find that arm that fits the 5th RH RP up/down guy off of waivers over the Elias regime.  McDermott just has so much value right now as a #6/#7 SP.  With or without Burnes.  

I think we go into ST with him as a SP.  If anything, just for trade value.  Next year will be the year where we'd be teetering on Mike Wright territory with waiting too long to convert an obvious relief profile to reliever.  

Our SP depth is thin in the org, and it got thinner at the deadline.  I really like McDermott.  We'll see how the "ball is coming out of his hand" after that injury.