Gunnar Henderson 2024

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

It feels great to have one of (if not the) game’s best on our side.

My young son’s Gunnar jersey came in the mail yesterday. He was fired up and wanted to wear it to bed. I told him save it for the game this weekend…lol

Gunnar has already become every bit the player we hoped for and then some! And he’s still so young.

If he continues at this pace the odds are he will never have a better season regardless of his current age. 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO Adam Dunn was never as good as Judge is. Judge is not just a home run or nothing guy. He is one of the best hitters in the sport. And to take it a step further, I don’t really know/see any weaknesses that he has. He is an all-around great player.

Dunn wasn't close to as good as Judge, I was just looking for players with a similar build in order to look at how someone Judge's size might age later into his career.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If he continues at this pace the odds are he will never have a better season regardless of his current age. 

That's definitely possible. Every year isn't going to look like this, although I'd bet on him putting up at least a few other spike years.

3 minutes ago, deward said:

Dunn wasn't close to as good as Judge, I was just looking for players with a similar build in order to look at how someone Judge's size might age later into his career.

Maybe?

But he truly is a 1 of 1 kind of freak of nature.

All players age at some point, but right now he shows no signs of slowing down.

Obviously I love Gunnar and am rooting for him to continue to succeed. But I don’t dislike Judge nor am I rooting for his downfall. Even though I want the O’s to beat the Yankees, I’m not really that attached to hating the Yankees. IMO they are just another team in the Orioles’ way. As far as Aaron Judge goes, it’s hard to dislike him. He seems like a good/solid human.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Maybe?

Obviously I love Gunnar and am rooting for him to continue to succeed. But I don’t dislike Judge nor am I rooting for his downfall. Even though I want the O’s to beat the Yankees, I’m not really that attached to hating the Yankees. IMO they are just another team in the Orioles’ way. As far as Aaron Judge goes, it’s hard to dislike him. He seems like a good/solid human.

I wanted Judge to sign with the Giants and be the NL West's problem for the rest of his career.

10 minutes ago, deward said:

Another bigger guy that comes to mind was Richie Sexson. He definitely didn't carry the bulk like Judge, but they're similar in height. His productivity really diminished in his late 20's. He was a bit of a Hangout target too.

38 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Maybe?

He's fine, but he's awfully whiny. Just seems like a typical Yankee entitled player. Got all needlessly bent out of shape and tried hard to stare down Suarez on the HBP when it was clear it was unintentional, then continued to put on a show while standing at 1B cursing to himself, etc. Complains at the ump a lot. 

I'm personally not a fan, but it's true that he probably isn't a bad guy. And obviously an insanely good player. 

• Upvote 1

I get this newsletter from The Athletic that caters to baseball.  Gunnar was the top of the newsletter this morning:

We need to talk about Gunnar Henderson

Here is a list of every shortstop (minimum 50 percent of games played at the position) to hit 50 home runs in a season: 

1. Alex Rodriguez (2002): 57
  2. Alex Rodriguez (2001): 52

In fact, the list of shortstop seasons with 40 homers is only 13 long. Only two of them — Fernando Tatis Jr. (42 in 2021) and Rico Petrocelli (40 in 1969) — were by someone other than Rodriguez or Ernie Banks. 

That sentence seems unlikely to remain true for long. Gunnar Henderson hit his 26th home run of the year last night in a 4-2 win over the Guardians. No other shortstop has more than 14

With the Orioles playing their 80th game of the season last night, it makes “on pace for” a pretty easy projection. Even if he takes tonight off, Henderson will be on pace for history: .282/.383/.607 (.989 OPS), 52 home runs, 32 doubles, eight triples, 140 runs and 110 RBI. 

If you value Wins Above Replacement, here’s some context: Rodriguez’s 2002 season was worth just 8.8 bWAR, since, uh, everyone was hitting more home runs then (wink, wink). Rodriguez’s best season by bWAR was 2000 (10.4). Banks peaked at 10.2 bWAR in 1959. 

The record? 11.5, set by Honus Wagner in 1908 and tied by Cal Ripken Jr. in 1991.

Henderson is on pace for 11.8. Last year, Henderson won the AL Rookie of the Year and the Silver Slugger. It’s possible that he’s following it up with the greatest season by a shortstop in the history of baseball. 

It would be wild if he could surpass 11.5.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's fine, but he's awfully whiny. Just seems like a typical Yankee entitled player. Got all needlessly bent out of shape and tried hard to stare down Suarez on the HBP when it was clear it was unintentional, then continued to put on a show while standing at 1B cursing to himself, etc. Complains at the ump a lot. 

I'm personally not a fan, but it's true that he probably isn't a bad guy. And obviously an insanely good player. 

Judge is a great player and seems like a good person from hearing him do interviews. But at the same time he is a primadonna with some diva like behavior. Judge plays half of his games in a little league stadium and still felt the need to complain about Walltimore.

Then the whole drama with Suarez last week when Suarez was clearly really wild that game. Judge will crowd the plate to gain an advantage against the pitcher it's not like he was being headhunted.

On 6/22/2024 at 1:17 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is according to Baseball Savant. Witt is 100th percentile for Sprint Speed while Gunnar is 89th.

They're both great players, but I'll take Gunnar.

Gunnar:

image.thumb.png.b491cec00654e18e526d8b533a9d6d50.png

Witt:

image.thumb.png.8f59236b045b18a56d7583957013dc45.png

Amazing how good these two are. Two generational talents and Elias found one his in the 2nd round and still has a potential HoF catcher to boot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get this newsletter from The Athletic that caters to baseball.  Gunnar was the top of the newsletter this morning:

It would be wild if he could surpass 11.5.  

Thank you for posting this! Kind of contextualizes just how great Gunnar has been in this first half.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Judge is a great player and seems like a good person from hearing him do interviews. But at the same time he is a primadonna with some diva like behavior. Judge plays half of his games in a little league stadium and still felt the need to complain about Walltimore.

Then the whole drama with Suarez last week when Suarez was clearly really wild that game. Judge will crowd the plate to gain an advantage against the pitcher it's not like he was being headhunted.

Judge can hit them out of any park including Yellowstone.

He’s a superstar, one of the game’s best, and he’s on the Yankees. Of course there’s going to be a little edge and some ego.

Gunnar does a little histrionics at the plate when calls don’t go his way some time. And I’m fine with that too.

I just enjoy watching greatness and am very happy that finely we have one of the game’s best in Orange and Black!