Gunnar Henderson 2024

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also on pace for 26 steals.  I feel like he's been attempting steals a little more lately but a 30/30 season is definitely in reach.  

50/30 and it’s an all-time great season. That’s up there with Acuna Jr.’s 40/70 from last year.

I just love having a true super star as one of our own finally. I don’t have too many memories of prime Eddie Murray. The only two super stars the O’s have had in my lifetime are Cal and Manny.

Cal I loved and still do. It was good to see him behind home plate last night and at many games this year. 

Manny was a little harder to embrace because how much of an a-hole he could be sometimes. And it always felt like he never really embraced the fanbase/community (like say the lesser talented Adam Jones).

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

50/30 and it’s an all-time great season. That’s up there with Acuna Jr.’s 40/70 from last year.

I just love having a true super star as one of our own finally. I don’t have too many memories of prime Eddie Murray. The only two super stars the O’s have had in my lifetime are Cal and Manny.

Cal I loved and still do. It was good to see him behind home plate last night and at many games this year. 

Manny was a little harder to embrace because how much of an a-hole he could be sometimes. And it always felt like he never really embraced the fanbase/community (like say the lesser talented Adam Jones).

Man, 50/30 would be great...I'd love to see that but I'd still be thrilled with 40/30.

I agree, it's nice to have a guy who's easily in the top 5 of all of baseball on our team.  

Sometime over the weekend we will probably see @Frobby's next 27-game increment report.     

Last year I believe Gunnar increased his rWAR in all nine 18-game segments surveyed.     I think I joked about 27 games ago that if he continued that pattern in June, he'd be halfway to a 12-win season, and unless he goes 0-for-11 tonight or something like that we are just about there.

Watching players practice their mastery of the game, it did feel to me like signal not noise an upward arc that steady in a player's first full season.    I would guess if you looked at all ~700 full time big leaguers last year, there would be 0, 1 or 2 others with that pattern.   

As players oscillate around their true talent, increases in 8-9 consecutive, decently sized measuring periods would be ~500 to 1 against occurring randomly.

It has to level off somewhere, but holy cow where?

Since Jackie, only Bonds has 12-win seasons.    

12 hours ago, Malike said:

Judge just got his 30th. On pace for 62 again. If he pulls that off he's winning the MVP.

I’m not worried about it.  If Gunnar doubles his first half numbers it will be one of the greatest seasons ever, particularly for a SS.  At the age of 22/23.  Good enough for me.

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Another bigger guy that comes to mind was Richie Sexson. He definitely didn't carry the bulk like Judge, but they're similar in height. His productivity really diminished in his late 20's. He was a bit of a Hangout target too.

Dave Winfield is the best comp 

• Upvote 2

I don't give a rip about the MVP discussion and from what I've heard about Gunnar he probably doesn't either. His make-up is ultra-competitive, and he wants to perform well to help his team. I would think he cares more about his team winning a title and him doing everything he can to facilitate that. It's apparent from everything I've heard him say in interviews and what others (coaching staff) say about him. He's a winner. When he doesn't perform as well as HE expects he won't be happy, but it also doesn't last long as to affect his play. He's good at moving on to the next task.

The awards and accolades are nice, and he'll get them in due time (he already has). There will be plenty with the continued success of his team, which of course, he is the biggest part.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I don't give a rip about the MVP discussion and from what I've heard about Gunnar he probably doesn't either. His make-up is ultra-competitive, and he wants to perform well to help his team. I would think he cares more about his team winning a title and him doing everything he can to facilitate that. It's apparent from everything I've heard him say in interviews and what others (coaching staff) say about him. He's a winner. When he doesn't perform as well as HE expects he won't be happy, but it also doesn't last long as to affect his play. He's good at moving on to the next task.

The awards and accolades are nice, and he'll get them in due time (he already has). There will be plenty with the continued success of his team, which of course, he is the biggest part.

This post is way better if you imagine Clint Eastwood reading it.  

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Malike said:

Judge just got his 30th. On pace for 62 again. If he pulls that off he's winning the MVP.

*pushes up glasses*

The Yankees have already completed 82 games.   So he is actually on pace for just under 60.

Still, a phenomenal player and the rare Yankee great that I don't mind rooting for at times as long as they are playing someone else.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

*pushes up glasses*

The Yankees have already completed 82 games.   So he is actually on pace for just under 60.

Still, a phenomenal player and the rare Yankee great that I don't mind rooting for at times as long as they are playing someone else.

From a strict baseball fan perspective, it's hard not to appreciate Judge.  

It just sucks that he's in our division...but it's an overall net positive for the game to have a guy like that in a major media market.  You wouldn't want him in Kansas City or Arizona or something.

24 minutes ago, Aglets said:

*pushes up glasses*

And as long as he isn't whining about lost HRs at the Great Wall of Baltimore.