Gunnar Henderson 2024

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea if he is going to hit lefties well, he’s going to be an MVP finalist if he stays healthy.  

He is a prime example of why you let them figure it out and not platoon top prospects like some (not saying you) were suggesting.

Easy baseball math, what percentage of Brady Anderson's career best HR number by an Oriole leadoff hitter might Gunnar climb to?

74%?   86%?    More?!

8 in April with five home games to go, though that would get the Consecutive Games played thing into the 30's if he doesn't pit stop before NYY.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What a day.  Now hitting .309/.373/.639.  That’ll work.   

Think about what Gunnar did today. He came within a triple of the cycle, was also hit by a pitch, stole a base, had 3 RBI's, his second HR in as many days, also made a spectacular play late in the game to end a potential big inning for the Angels...on top of that he made the tag on a disputed call to end the game. It was like watching Willie Mays at shortstop. Gunnar is tied with Mookie Betts with a 1.9 WAR and is a top-five qualified position player by wRC+ (193) and slugging (.649). Wow! What a player he is and only 22. My God.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

His defensive stats on baseball reference seem off.  He is -.1 dWar. 

Prior to today’s game, the advanced metrics have Gunnar at neutral or slightly negative right now: -2 Rdrs (which feeds dWAR), -1 Rtot, -0.1 UZR, 0 OAA.   He does have 3 errors, which is a fairly high number after 24 games, though not outrageous.  It’s still early in the year and he’s just a tad In negative territory, nothing to be concerned about.  

I finally had a chance to watch the defensive play...wow! It's been amazing watching him grow into the player he's becoming. As silly as this sounds, there's still probably another level as he goes along the aging curve.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Prior to today’s game, the advanced metrics have Gunnar at neutral or slightly negative right now: -2 Rdrs (which feeds dWAR), -1 Rtot, -0.1 UZR, 0 OAA.   He does have 3 errors, which is a fairly high number after 24 games, though not outrageous.  It’s still early in the year and he’s just a tad In negative territory, nothing to be concerned about.  

I am not worried.  It just doesn’t remotely meet the eye test.  He has been great in the field . I can think of at least 3 outstanding plays he has made and not any that I thought he should have gotten but didn’t. Meanwhile Holliday is 3 OAA and I can’t think of an outstanding play and can think of a number I thought he should have made. 

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

I am not worried.  It just doesn’t remotely meet the eye test.  He has been great in the field . I can think of at least 3 outstanding plays he has made and not any that I thought he should have gotten but didn’t. Meanwhile Holliday is 3 OAA and I can’t think of an outstanding play and can think of a number I thought he should have made. 

I know that you know this but they are not competing with one another. We can appreciate one without trashing the other. Because we will need both of them to be great if this franchise wants to reach its ceiling. 

Gunnar is on the fast track to his ascent while Holliday is at the bottom/beginning of his climb. 

They will form the best up the middle duo in the game in time and hopefully it will last for at least a decade.

39 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I know that you know this but they are not competing with one another. We can appreciate one without trashing the other. Because we will need both of them to be great if this franchise wants to reach its ceiling. 

Gunnar is on the fast track to his ascent while Holliday is at the bottom/beginning of his climb. 

They will form the best up the middle duo in the game in time and hopefully it will last for at least a decade.

I don't think the point was to trash Holliday but to question the reliability of the metric. I share the question about Holliday's OAA. He hasn't been bad but I can't think of a single plus play and OAA thinks he is the best defender on the team.