Gunnar Henderson 2024

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I keep seeing that and thinking if Ripken was put in the leadoff spot at 22 we wouldn't be seeing this, it's like they had to dig for one thing that was obscure, like lineup spot, to make it look more impressive.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I keep seeing that and thinking if Ripken was put in the leadoff spot at 22 we wouldn't be seeing this, it's like they had to dig for one thing that was obscure, like lineup spot, to make it look more impressive.

That’s baseball for you. 

53 minutes ago, Malike said:

I dunno, still pretty cool even without the lineup spot part. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Ripken’s most home runs in a season was 34 in 91’. Gunnar is going to far surpass that this season. And he is nowhere near his prime yet as Cal was in 91’.

No one has to make what Gunnar is doing this season look “impressive” because it truly is.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

any way you slice it, its impressive, No?

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

any way you slice it, its impressive, No?

The impressive part is 20 HR at 22 and under. I don't have the numbers off-hand but I suspect that's happened. A lot. It feels like they are implying that doing it from the leadoff spot, somehow makes it more impressive when it's probably an advantage, you get more ABs.

Just now, Malike said:

The impressive part is 20 HR at 22 and under. I don't have the numbers off-hand but I suspect that's happened. A lot. It feels like they are implying that doing it from the leadoff spot, somehow makes it more impressive when it's probably an advantage, you get more ABs.

20 hr at 22 by 6/9? I can't imagine that's happened a lot. Maybe though.

36 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Ripken’s most home runs in a season was 34 in 91’. Gunnar is going to far surpass that this season. And he is nowhere near his prime yet as Cal was in 91’.

No one has to make what Gunnar is doing this season look “impressive” because it truly is.

Hard to know.  Reggie Jackson had 37 at the break once and ended up with 47.   I think Gunnar is going to have to show he can hit the high fastball, because teams can’t be so stupid as to continue to throw him offspeed. That said.  He is amazing and I wish they could get him to sign and extension. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Point is, Gunnar has the speed to be a good choice at leadoff.  Cal never started a game as leadoff hitter even in his younger days because his skill set really wasn’t well suited for it.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Hard to know.  Reggie Jackson had 37 at the break once and ended up with 47.   I think Gunnar is going to have to show he can hit the high fastball, because teams can’t be so stupid as to continue to throw him offspeed. That said.  He is amazing and I wish they could get him to sign and extension. 

If Gunnar doesn’t surpass Ripken’s career high homers this season, something will have went horribly wrong. If he’s not close by the all-star break, I would be surprised.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Point is, Gunnar has the speed to be a good choice at leadoff.  Cal never started a game as leadoff hitter even in his younger days because his skill set really wasn’t well suited for it.  

It still feels like a reach to me. Kyle Schwarber leads off with a sprint speed of 25.1.

Edited by Malike