Gunnar Henderson 2024

On 7/5/2024 at 11:54 AM, RVAOsFan said:

This is a great read. Love this young group of men our Orioles have drafted, developed and are winning with. 

Nice to see Gunnar reward his former AAA manager. I think it shows how much the players respect Buck.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice to see Gunnar reward his former AAA manager. I think it shows how much the players respect Buck.

I was very impressed with that move.   And Gunnar only played a couple of months in Norfolk under Buck.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With that wild throw in the Oakland game, I thought this would be a good time to see what Gunnar's defensive numbers are looking like.   He's now played significantly more games at SS this year (87 starts) than he did last year (64).   Here's some 2024 numbers, with 2023 in parentheses.   Also, I've added the current stats of some other AL shortstops:

Rtot: +5 (10) -- Pena +8, Neto +6, Seager +4, Rocchio +3, Volpe +2, Correa +1, Witt 0

Rdrs: +4 (10) -- Neto +9, Rocchio +6, Volpe +3, Witt +3, Seager +3, Pena +1, Correa -1

OAA: +7 (0) -- Witt +13, Volpe +10, Correa +3, Seager +2, Rocchio +2, Pena +1, Neto -5

UZR: +5.5 (7.4) -- Rocchio +3.6, Volpe +1.8, Witt 0.8, Seager 0.2, Pena -0.2, Neto -0.3, Correa -1.7

Fielding Pct.: .970 (.969) -- Neto .983, Seager .980, Correa .980, Rocchio .980, Pena .978, Volpe .976, Witt .971

So, Gunnar ranks top 3 in Rtot, Rdrs, and OAA, and 1st in UZR.   The people who are ahead of him in one advanced stat are behind him in others.   Gunnar trails this field in fielding percentage but the advanced stats like him a lot.   That probably shows that Gunnar makes a lot of plays that other shortstops don't, but occasionally makes errors trying to pull off plays that other shortstops wouldn't try.   I can certainly think of a few plays in that category.

Overall, I'd say Gunnar is a Gold Glove contender, but there are several others in contention and you could look at these numbers a lot of ways depending what your preferred stat is.   If you are an OAA "true believer" you're probably going to prefer Witt or Volpe even if the three other advanced metrics prefer Gunnar to them.   If you are an old school fielding percentage guy, then Gunnar isn't really on the GG radar for you.   

Bottom line, there's still 72 games to play.   We'll see how they go.    

Thx for summarizing, Frobby. Gunnar has been spectacular on D this season for sure. Question — are the 2023 numbers for Gunnar full season (so incl time at 3B) or just at SS?

Just now, Say O! said:

Thx for summarizing, Frobby. Gunnar has been spectacular on D this season for sure. Question — are the 2023 numbers for Gunnar full season (so incl time at 3B) or just at SS?

SS only.