Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or not.

It isn't a lock that someone can just be a ML firstbaseman.  This isn't learning how to play bass in a punk band.

I think you're underrating how hard it is to play bass in a punk band.  😀

You're right that he isn't a lock to make it at 1B, but it's definitely the easiest position to learn and there is less blocking Mayo at 1B than at 3B.  

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Will start Sunday, 3b ...batting 7th. That is all for now. Let the kid play. Or at least left him hit.

Less pressure on him today. The team has won the first two games of the series. Back in first place. Lefty SP. A good day for an XBH. 

Mayo will be ok. 

I certainly wish the best for Coby. However, I wish the Orioles would send him down to the minors. The Orioles cannot afford to play a rookie who struggles to play good defense. Every game is critical right now. Coby has no future at 3B. Therefore, why isn't he in the minors learning how to play the outfield? I simply do not understand what the Orioles are doing with him right now. Since Coby has no position right now, I wish the Orioles would have traded him for a really good pitcher. That to me would have made more sense. Right now, the Orioles are hoping that he can learn a different position and there is no guarantee that he can successfully do that.

• Confused 1

Mayo is going to be great for us. There are worse problems to have than a really good hitting prospect who can’t stick on the left side of the infield defensively. Mountcastle for example. I’m guessing Mayo will get outfield exposure in ST, and play more 1B if he gets sent down. That arm in RF could be an asset. It’ll work out fine. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins

1 minute ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I certainly wish the best for Coby. However, I wish the Orioles would send him down to the minors. The Orioles cannot afford to play a rookie who struggles to play good defense. Every game is critical right now. Coby has no future at 3B. Therefore, why isn't he in the minors learning how to play the outfield? I simply do not understand what the Orioles are doing with him right now. Since Coby has no position right now, I wish the Orioles would have traded him for a really good pitcher. That to me would have made more sense. Right now, the Orioles are hoping that he can learn a different position and there is no guarantee that he can successfully do that.

I feel like Mayo should be able to handle 1B (if he is even close to acceptable at 3B) and there is a need there. I agree, if he isn't a 3B then don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Still, I am OK with him playing in a platoon role for now just to give him looks at MLB pitching and see where it goes. He got 350 AB's playing regularly at AAA this year. I don't see a huge developmental setback if he plays part time while waiting for Westburg to return. 

So once we get our other guys back I feel like he should be playing mostly 1B. Not sure about OF, he could be Trumbo level out there and at that point he should just full time DH. 

12 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

They are trying to win. He is better than the next guy at Norfolk. 

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Will start Sunday, 3b ...batting 7th. That is all for now. Let the kid play. Or at least left him hit.

I figured he would start today. Wonder if Jackson sits or Urias. Eloy will be DH I’m sure. 

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I feel like Mayo should be able to handle 1B (if he is even close to acceptable at 3B) and there is a need there. I agree, if he isn't a 3B then don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Still, I am OK with him playing in a platoon role for now just to give him looks at MLB pitching and see where it goes. He got 350 AB's playing regularly at AAA this year. I don't see a huge developmental setback if he plays part time while waiting for Westburg to return. 

So once we get our other guys back I feel like he should be playing mostly 1B. Not sure about OF, he could be Trumbo level out there and at that point he should just full time DH. 

He played 3rd better than 1B at Norfolk. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He played 3rd better than 1B at Norfolk. 

I've heard that but maybe with consistent time he might learn to play the either position? And if that fails, he is a DH. I'm just guessing if there was any chance of him being a good OF they would have tried that 

Being present to the moment, I think all the position switch stuff belongs on the back burner until the off-season.

He's been a 3B his whole life - refine that craft as best possible while Westburg heals.

Urias or him is perhaps a tossup in the event of Westburg out for season.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I've heard that but maybe with consistent time he might learn to play the either position? And if that fails, he is a DH. I'm just guessing if there was any chance of him being a good OF they would have tried that 

Apparently they have worked him in the outfield some just not in games. Roch alluded to him playing the OF next spring. I would think spring training would be a great time to test him out in the OF. I’m sure they will continue to work him multiple spots. 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Being present to the moment, I think all the position switch stuff belongs on the back burner until the off-season.

He's been a 3B his whole life - refine that craft as best possible while Westburg heals.

Urias or him is perhaps a tossup in the event of Westburg out for season.

Yea I agree.  You aren’t going to improve at this  point in season by giving him more to do/learn.  Let’s see what he looks like when he’s relaxed and the game slows down for him a bit.  He’s not going to be an option at 1b or RF in playoffs. 3B? Maybe?  Give him the reps there and let’s see what happens.