Craig Kimbrel 2024

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It won’t. 

We really don't have a choice. This was something that had to be addressed in the offseason. We have to try to survive until we can add around the deadline.

Of course this is not an outcome that should come as a surprise. Who thought nothing could go wrong in replacing Bautista (arguably the game's best) with a once great now very suspect Kimbrel?

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Never too early for an overpay lol

I don't see many if any teams punting on their season on April 28th. It just doesn't happen. Name the last significant trade that happened in April or May for that matter.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

We really don't have a choice. This was something that had to be addressed in the offseason. We have to try to survive until we can add around the deadline.

Of course this is not an outcome that should come as a surprise. Who thought nothing could go wrong in replacing Bautista (arguably the game's best) with a once great now very suspect Kimbrel?

It's not just the closer.

You also have a pen full of guys with not overwhelming stuff, when that is the standard.  You also don't have much in the way of guys with options so it's harder to rotate guys in and out to limit wear.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not just the closer.

You also have a pen full of guys with not overwhelming stuff, when that is the standard.  You also don't have much in the way of guys with options so it's harder to rotate guys in and out to limit wear.

I agree with you!

There is a philosophy in the modern game that says that most relievers are interchangeable and you should not use money/capital/investment on them because of how "easy" they are to find. The problem for us is that it appears that we have gone to the trash heap/waiver wire/left over menu, one too many times.

We are going to need more than one reliever to truly fixe the bp problem. Hopefully Suarez can go down there and be effective and we can survive until deadline time where we can get someone else who is effective. On a team like this we just can't afford the luxury of carrying a Kimbrel. He's already breaking down from overuse and it's only APRIL!

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree with you!

There is a philosophy in the modern game that says that most relievers are interchangeable and you should not use money/capital/investment on them because of how "easy" they are to find. The problem for us is that it appears that we have gone to the trash heap/waiver wire/left over menu, one too many times.

We are going to need more than one reliever to truly fixe the bp problem. Hopefully Suarez can go down there and be effective and we can survive until deadline time where we can get someone else who is effective. On a team like this we just can't afford the luxury of carrying a Kimbrel. He's already breaking down from overuse and it's only APRIL!

But if they are fungible you don't stack your pen with guys you can send down.

Ideally you can send a guy down and see if a Povich type can get the job done.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if they are fungible you don't stack your pen with guys you can send down.

Ideally you can send a guy down and see if a Povich type can get the job done.

I hope that the team is open to any possible solutions because I think that it has become pretty clear after almost a month, the bullpen is really the only weakness on the team and the guys that we have out there now are not likely to be the answer as a group.

Using Kimbrel today put him on a 78 game pace. The only time he worked in more games was when he was 23-years old and he worked 79. Last year he did pitch on 71 games, but was not a closer all last year.

Sounds like a lot to ask a 36-year old pitcher to throw in this many games, all in high leverage situations. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

we gave up Eduardo Rodrigue

Great that we are seeing the proof in April that Kimbrel is  not a closer on a playoff/championship team.

Now we have all year to figure out who is going to be our closer  in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Well no they didn't. They took him out after he gave up the HR. They claimed injury to take him out after 2 batters. If you're gonna argue, at least have the details right.

He threw one ball to the third batter. I see Statcast is incorrect and shows Dillon Tate as throwing that 4-seamer pitch but it was Kimbrel's.

image.png.b78a7f0d3019e064966612a7317c3912.png

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree with you!

Injuries happen anytime. It may be a good part of the season to rest him while he has been overworked. 

the timing of Means, Bradish and potentially Wells can be a season long blessing for the playoff potential.

55 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

They need to give up prospects for an actual closer . .. we gave up Eduardo Rodriguez for Andrew Miller.. something similar 

Yeah if we need to make a trade then I am all for that.   I was strictly talking in house options.

Miller was perhaps the best relief pitcher I have ever seen in his time with the O's.  Almost completely untouchable.  I cringed when the O's never made an attempt to resign him.   I said  the same about Nelson Cruz and got crucified for that.

• Upvote 1