Craig Kimbrel 2024

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Krimbrel continues on his Heater. Since May 10, 20 IP 5 hits 33 SO. WHIP of .065, and ERA of 0.90. Hope he can keep it up, and does not fall apart like last year.

Small sample size (20 IP) but this favorite stat here -- K/H, 33/5 -- is otherworldly even for high-end relievers. Back in the day (e.g., 1987, peak Tom Henke at 128/62) when I first started noticing it, the best of the best were at around K/H = 2.0. This sample, 33/5, is 6.6. For probably the closest comparable context, last year the Mountain had a historic 110/30, or 3.7 (in 61 IP).

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kimbrel came in with a one-run lead tonight, facing a team that he’d blown two one-run leads against in one three-game series a couple of months ago.  He avoided all suspense, getting three quick outs and putting the game to bed.  As mentioned on the broadcast (and updated through tonight), he’s allowed 5 hits in his last 20 innings of work, dating back to May 10.   Great outing tonight.  

I have to say, he's our best bullpen arm right now.  He may not have the velocity he once had but his location is outstanding.   

18 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I have to say, he's our best bullpen arm right now.  He may not have the velocity he once had but his location is outstanding.   

He doesn't need to throw 97/98 to be effective, he's a short guy who gets a lot of extension so his fastball has always played up.

2 hours ago, Malike said:

He doesn't need to throw 97/98 to be effective, he's a short guy who gets a lot of extension so his fastball has always played up.

His pitches come from a weird angle.  There’s really nobody with a delivery quite like Kimbrel’s.  He gets a lot of takes on strikes in the zone, and a lot of swings at pitches out of the zone.  Hitters just don’t see him well.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

His pitches come from a weird angle.  There’s really nobody with a delivery quite like Kimbrel’s.  He gets a lot of takes on strikes in the zone, and a lot of swings at pitches out of the zone.  Hitters just don’t see him well.   

I'm sure the deception is what has allowed him to be effective for so long. It almost looks like he's shooting from the hip to me. I don't know if that makes sense.

Edited by Malike

Just now, Frobby said:

I just noticed that Kimbrel hasn’t had more than 24 saves in a season since 2018.   He’s at 22 now, one short of last year’s total with Philly and two short of his 2021 total with the Dodgers.   

He was used quite a bit last year but I don't know how Philly utilized him or if they just had a lot of 4+ run wins.

40 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Holmes over Kimbrel for the ASG is a joke.

Kimbrel with an edge in basically every meaningful stat (ERA, FIP, xERA) and in saves/save percentage. 

Holmes with the edge in xFIP and pinstripes worn.

Yankees with edge in projected TV ratings and ad revenue. Oh well, I'm happy for Kimbrel to get the extra rest.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Holmes over Kimbrel for the ASG is a joke.

Kimbrel with an edge in basically every meaningful stat (ERA, FIP, xERA) and in saves/save percentage. 

Holmes with the edge in xFIP and pinstripes worn.

Holmes in the All Star game is a joke but I'd pick another starting pitcher like Ronel Blanco, Erickk Fedde or even his own teammate Luis Gil

In any case Kimbrel's a 9x All Star, I doubt he's losing sleep over it.

21 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Holmes in the All Star game is a joke but I'd pick another starting pitcher like Ronel Blanco, Erickk Fedde or even his own teammate Luis Gil

In any case Kimbrel's a 9x All Star, I doubt he's losing sleep over it.

Kimbrel’s numbers seem on par with his career norms and usually an ASG bid. Maybe he goes because of injury. He did get the save in last year’s game. I bet he won’t mind the rest, but this doesn’t help his HOF bid. 10x all star sound much better than 9.