Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Great start and no walks is encouraging but I don’t see how someone with a 90-92 mph fastball and, generally, not plus command is going to survive in the big leagues.  

Because he can spin it and the fastball plays up.  All his pitchers are MLB avg. or above avg. future value.  He turns 24 next week and still has room to fill out a bit.  The curve ball is nasty. 

Cole Irvin

Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command FV
45 / 45 45 / 45 45 / 45 55 / 55 55 / 55

35+

Cade Povich

40 / 50 50 / 55 50 / 55 35 / 50 35 / 60 45
Edited by emmett16

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Because he can spin it and the fastball plays up.  All his pitchers have above avg. future value.  He turns 24 next week and still has room to fill out a bit.  The curve ball is nasty. 

Cole Irvin

45 / 45 45 / 45 45 / 45 55 / 55 55 / 55

35+

Cade Povich

Present command is 35 and future command is a 60?   I’’ve never seen such a disparity between present and future ESPECIALLY for a 24 yo.   I’ve seen him pitch multiple times.   I’ve never seen the nasty curveball.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Present command is 35 and future command is a 60?   I’’ve never seen such a disparity between present and future ESPECIALLY for a 24 yo.   I’ve seen him pitch multiple times.   I’ve never seen the nasty curveball.

Check K #4 last night in video posted on first page. 

He was around a 2.0 BB9 guy through college and with Minnesota.  The Orioles made some changes and the BB9 went up.  The control is in there.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

Check K #4 last night in video posted on first page. 

He was a 2.0 BB9 guy through college and with Minnesota.  The Orioles made some changes and the BB9 went up.  The control is in there.  

My prediction is that Povich never makes 25 starts in any ML season because of ineffectiveness.   Might take a few years to get an idea.   I understand, the metrics like his stuff.   I don’t get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I watch him pitch.  Nothing he throws knocks my socks off.   On the other hand, I love McDermott’s stuff.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

My prediction is that Povich never makes 25 starts in any ML season because of ineffectiveness.   Might take a few years to get an idea.   I understand, the metrics like his stuff.   I don’t get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I watch him pitch.  Nothing he throws knocks my socks off.   On the other hand, I love McDermott’s stuff.

McDermott

55 / 60 50 / 55 55 / 60 30 / 30 30 / 40

Povich

I like his stuff, too.  But with his lack of control and inefficiency, he might be lucky to get 25 starts in his MLB career, let alone one season.  My prediction is that Povich's # of careers starts will dwarf McDermott's. I hope I'm wrong, I like them both a bunch and am very happy they are in our system.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

McDermott

55 / 60 50 / 55 55 / 60 30 / 30 30 / 40

Povich

I like his stuff, too.  But with his lack of control and inefficiency, he might be lucky to get 25 starts in his MLB career, let alone one season.  My prediction is that Povich's # of careers starts with dwarf McDermott's. I hope I'm wrong, I like them both a bunch and am very happy they are in our system.  

McDermott could be held back because of control but I think he’s got the ceiling of a Bradish type of starter or mid rotation.   I just don’t see that ceiling with Povich.  

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

McDermott could be held back because of control but I think he’s got the ceiling of a Bradish type of starter or mid rotation.   I just don’t see that ceiling with Povich.  

I agree his ceiling is higher.  But I believe he has a lower floor as well.  

Just now, emmett16 said:

Maybe Povich has a better chance to be a starter.  Maybe.   But McDermott has a fall back as a power reliever.   I don’t see that with Povich either.   

37 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Agreed. I think Povich's floor is "not a useful major leaguer." His ceiling is probably ERA 3.80-4.00-ish starter

Here's what I noticed last night with Povich.  

First time thru the order, he threw 2 CB's but neither one was in the same inning.  He threw 0 sliders/sweepers first time thru.  I went back to check batter by batter.  It seems like last year at Bowie & Norfolk he was using all 5 pitches right away.  I randomly checked 2 games in Bowie & 2 games in Norfolk (home/away each), and it showed that he indeed was using all 5 from the get go.  Or, at least trying to.  

Last night v Charlotte

First time thru:  18 FB, 13 CH, 6 CUT, 2 CB, 0 SL/SW

Second time thru:  9 FB, 9 CH, 8 CUT, 6 CB, 3 SL/SW

Remillard is the only one he faced for a third time and Cade threw him 3 CUT & 1 CH.  (Total math isn't adding up, I double checked everything so it's 78 TP v 74 TP recorded in the box score.  Almost as if the 4 pitches to Remillard wasn't recorded to Povich.  Could also be my old age not adding up the pitches correctly, likely I added the 4 pitches to Remi in the Second time thru section)

The second time thru really sticks out to me.  FB, CH & CUT all go off of each other for a smooth split of 9, 9 & 8.  The 6 CB's were 3 called strikes, 1 swinging strike and 2 called balls.  Of those 6, none were to the same hitter and all were thrown in the 4th & 5th inning.   Last year, he doubled up that pitch quite a bit throughout the season.  

I've followed him live since he arrived at the University of Nebraska in 2020.  Last night was the most comfortable & confident I've ever seen him.  Yes, I'm biased and love my Huskers.  GBR!

Edited by HuskerFan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I think McDermott vs. Povich is TBD.  Neither is quite a finished product.  As to Povich, in his time with us he’s had numerous very good outings, but almost never two in a row.  So, his next start will be a chance to break that pattern.  Consistency is the big thing he needs to establish. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to Povich, in his time with us he’s had numerous very good outings, but almost never two in a row.  So, his next start will be a chance to break that pattern.  Consistency is the big thing he needs to establish. 

Just not true.  August 3 & 10.  September 10, 16, 23* & 28 in the playoffs.

* should've never started the 6th.

Needs to improve consistency, absolutely.  It has to get better to make the next jump. But the hyperbole of almost never two in a row is as bad as the other dude saying he's never seen a quality CB from him while claiming to of watched many of his games.  

As @emmett16 mentioned, something like his "control issues" didn't happen till he got in the Orioles system.  So it's plausible they made some adjustments that just haven't panned out, at least yet.

I'm excited to hear he's connected well with the new O's pitching coach.