Colton Cowser 2024

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My boy Cowser has been tapping into his red recently. Maybe he made an adjustment over the ASB. Gotta respect that. 

A Cowser beginning of year hot streak would be good medicine for our lineup right now.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

A Cowser beginning of year hot streak would be good medicine for our lineup right now.

I’m very interested to see whether Cowser can get on a sustained hot streak now or if this is just a blip on the radar screen.  Sometimes all these young guys need is for a few things to go right and boost their confidence, and then they take it and run.   Let’s hope that’s the case here.  

406 feet for Cowser yesterday.  When he hits homers, they’re not cheapies.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m very interested to see whether Cowser can get on a sustained hot streak now or if this is just a blip on the radar screen.  Sometimes all these young guys need is for a few things to go right and boost their confidence, and then they take it and run.   Let’s hope that’s the case here.  

I agree. It would be awesome if he took off a little bit, showing he has made some adjustments and can handle being pitched certain ways moving forward.  We were at our best as a lineup when he and Westy were going well.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am hoping for a strong second half as well. I personally see some regression in our lineup with Gunnar, Santander and a few more. Hopefully Cowser can have a 850 OPs second half to offset that.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He hit some curveballs in Texas and his 3-run double was on a changeup.  He’s doing a much better job of not over shifting his weight forward and selling out for the fastball.  I was disappointed that he seemed passive on his 3rd AB.  I don’t think he swung once.   Loved the other night when he singled down the 3B line and pulled the double down the RF line.  He’s a work-in-progress but he has as much talent on this team as anyone not named Gunnar.

• Upvote 2

Maybe even more encouraging than the homers recently was the bases clearing double. That was a RISP, clutch situation where he has struggled all year - and it came off a changeup from a righty with a very good changeup. (A harder changeup rather than a slower one, and caught too much of the plate - but still, I think on the broadcast they said he has 2 hits on changeups all year). 

If that’s a sign of things to come, watch out. 

Cowser is at 2.6 fWAR now - tied with Westburg and Adley. Tied for #42 in fWAR on the position player leaderboards.  For all the angst about Cowser’s strikeouts, they’re all very close in wRC+: Cowser 117, Adley 120, Westburg 125.

Mason Miller has to still be the ROY favorite, but if he misses more than the minimum for this broken left pinky and Cowser has a strong finish to the season, I think Cowser can sneak in and grab it.

He’s got to get his average over .240 (closer to his xBA of .247) and clear 20 HR for that to happen, because as much as voters have become analytically inclined I still think 20 HRs is a magic number and .230s AVG and a lot of K’s will turn them off. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Maybe even more encouraging than the homers recently was the bases clearing double. That was a RISP, clutch situation where he has struggled all year - and it came off a changeup from a righty with a very good changeup. (A harder changeup rather than a slower one, and caught too much of the plate - but still, I think on the broadcast they said he has 2 hits on changeups all year). 

Cowser is at 2.6 fWAR now - tied with Westburg and Adley. Tied for #42 in fWAR on the position player leaderboards.  For all the angst about Cowser’s strikeouts, they’re all very close in wRC+: Cowser 117, Adley 120, Westburg 125.

Mason Miller has to still be the ROY favorite, but if he misses more than the minimum for this broken left pinky and Cowser has a strong finish to the season, I think Cowser can sneak in and grab it.

He’s got to get his average over .240 (closer to his xBA of .247) and clear 20 HR for that to happen, because as much as voters have become analytically inclined I still think 20 HRs is a magic number and .230s AVG and a lot of K’s will turn them off. 

He just needs to be in the top 2 for RoY.

49 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

All this does is bum me out about Adley. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

He just needs to be in the top 2 for RoY.

Top 2 for ROY means the player gets a full year of service time (the “stick” of the PPI for curbing service time manipulation), but the team only get the comp pick if they win ROY or are top 3 in MVP/Cy Young their first 3 seasons (the “carrot”).  Never made any sense. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

All this does is bum me out about Adley. 

Either you’re being sarcastic or you need a pick me up because that’s a hilariously “glass half empty” view (if looking at a glass that is actually full?). Read #9 on this list if you want to feel better.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-trade-value-nos-1-10/

Projection systems still think Adley’s good for a 127 wRC+. And even at 120, that’s fantastic. What’s suppressing Adley’s WAR - to still a 4+ WAR pace, mind you - is his defensive metrics are down compared to his first two years (which are very fickle/volatile, even moreso for catchers), and the Orioles’ undying devotion to starting McCann against every lefty SP and DHing Adley. He has exactly 1/3 of his games at DH this year.  A big reason to hold onto Basallo, as if we needed another one.

Think folks need to remember is Colton is a rookie. And he's routinely proven that when given time, he makes adjustments. He's done that at every level. He performed modestly at A+ for the first couple months, then took off in month 3. When promoted to AA, he was gangbusters presumably since those adjustments held. Then he moved up to AAA, and was mediocre to finish that season. In 2023, he was gangbusters at AAA again. Then he gets called up to the O's, performs poorly to finish the season. He starts this season, gangbusters for the O's...then the league adjusts. He's been making adjustments along the way. His statcast numbers are amazing. His main area for growth right now are around his strikeouts. I do think we start seeing Colton walking more and making more contact. 

I'm super high on Cowser. I think his ceiling is very similar to Nick Markakis, albeit with the ability to play CF and play CF well.