Colton Cowser 2024

Just now, OsFanInOhio said:

Gil has just passed his career high for innings pitched in a season (previously 108 back in 2021). Wonder if they have to manage his innings down the stretch or if he can keep it up. He barely through at all in 2022 and 2023. 

He last pitched Monday so it looks like they are managing his innings now. I think he will be lucky to get to 140 for the season.

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He last pitched Monday so it looks like they are managing his innings now. I think he will be lucky to get to 140 for the season.

I don’t mind that. 

and only like 7 of the last 30 ROTY winners (both leagues over 15 years) have been pitchers.

13 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I think Cowser will have to stay on his current hot pace to start gathering some traction with the big media.  

He's currently the betting favorite to win AL ROY, I think he is already getting attention

Amazing what happens when you have the same basic approach and balls start to find green instead of gloves.

The one adjustment I have noticed is that he is pulling the ball for power a little more.

He has been using all fields all year but he had a lot of long fly outs to the warning tracks in left center quite often. Now he’s pulling it a little more and they are going over the fence.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Amazing what happens when you have the same basic approach and balls start to find green instead of gloves.

The one adjustment I have noticed is that he is pulling the ball for power a little more.

He has been using all fields all year but he had a lot of long fly outs to the warning tracks in left center quite often. Now he’s pulling it a little more and they are going over the fence.

Agreed.  And it was crazy to see how many posters so quickly turned on him just because his traditional stats were tanking even though his batted ball metrics were still good.  

50 minutes ago, Otter said:

Agreed.  And it was crazy to see how many posters so quickly turned on him just because his traditional stats were tanking even though his batted ball metrics were still good.  

There are a lot of trees in the forest that people choose not to see.

3 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I think Cowser will have to stay on his current hot pace to start gathering some traction with the big media.  

He doesn't have to do anything to gain traction with big media because he already has their attention. He got the most votes in a recent poll by MLB.com for AL rookie of the year.

As I've said before, this is Cowser's award to lose. Voters don't want to give the award to a guy like Miller who is a relief pitcher on one of the most lifeless teams of all time. Langford isn't in Cowser's zip code by WAR. And there has been an expectation from the beginning that Gil will have his innings managed.

50 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

He doesn't have to do anything to gain traction with big media because he already has their attention. He got the most votes in a recent poll by MLB.com for AL rookie of the year.

As I've said before, this is Cowser's award to lose. Voters don't want to give the award to a guy like Miller who is a relief pitcher on one of the most lifeless teams of all time. Langford isn't in Cowser's zip code by WAR. And there has been an expectation from the beginning that Gil will have his innings managed.

Nice.  Hadn’t seen that poll.  I stand corrected.