Brandon Hyde 2024

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Only problem with Cano closing is he can be so valuable getting high leverage outs in the 7th-8th. Ideally we would have another arm. 

He isn’t going to close. This is his role.  Hyde uses him against the heart of the order in either the 7th or 8th. 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He isn’t going to close. This is his role.  Hyde uses him against the heart of the order in either the 7th or 8th. 

Hyde prefers to use Cano when mostly RH hitters are due.   If the heart of the order is 2 or 3 LH hitters ño Cano.

• Upvote 2

Postgame comments he talked about chasing the groundball double play strategy on the Cano for Kimbrel move once the tying run got to 3rd with one out.    Naturally Cano converted with walk, strikeout, flyball.

Not overused, I still feel good Kimbrel is stronger than the Webb-Baumann kind of alternatives.

It does maybe mess up the Economic Analyst's long range cost containment plans if Kimbrel can't gather all the Saves.

It'll be interesting to see if Suarez can join the Cano-Coulombe tier above Kimbrel in Hyde's circle of trust.    Cionel probably gets there himself with a small additional number of sharp outings.

There's mention of will Kimbrel pout if there is role loss, but there's also the side of the coin will some of the other relievers who are better than him get frustrated if the moneymaking particulars stay glued to this particular coworker?

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

There's not a perfect answer, but avoid back to backs seems to make the most sense.

Not sure how you can be a closer in the major leagues if you are unable to pitch on back to back nights. 

Was I thrilled to see Kimbrel pitch after using 16 pitches the night before? No. But I understood why.

If Kimbrel says he's good to go, Hyde needs to know whether he really can pitch back to back night. It was clear almost from the very start that the answer was going to be no.

In Hyde's defense, he had Cano warming up and had no issues removing Kimbrel with the tie run on 3rd and  ringing him in. Hyde could have easily fallen on his sword and allowed Kimbrel to potentially blow the game, but he did not.

I actually think Hyde showed a different side last night. Has he ever pulled his closer while a save opportunity still was available?

From what I've seen so far from Kimbrel is that either he has his command or he doesn't. I think that's what Hyde saw last night and realized they were going to lose the game if he left him out there. With Cano's ability to get ground balls AND miss bats, he was the perfect guy to come into the 9th of Kimbrel struggled.

And I think that's another thing he did to go "against the book". The book said to use Cano in the 8th and Kimbrel in the 9th, but I think Hyde had questions on whether Kimbrel could be successful on back to back nights.

Thankfully Perez did his job in the 8th leaving Cano as the backup or to pitch the 10th if they went to extras. 

Personally, I like what Hyde did last night. He learned that he may have to coddle Kimbrel for awhile and that he very well may not be able to use him on back to back nights for close saves.

• Upvote 3

Being used on back to back nights is more of a health thing right? Kimbrel's poor showing yesterday didn't appear to me to be about being used back to back. It seems more to me about him just not being elite anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whether it’s SigBot or Hyde or you can’t have Cowser hitting in front of Westburg anymore. Brutal at bat for Cowser again in a crucial spot where he just needs to lift a deep flyball.

How do you not pinch hit for Mullins there? I’ve liked what Hyde has done since coming over but that doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism. Stowers is on the bench I guess to solely keep it toasty for everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Whether it’s SigBot or Hyde or you can’t have Cowser hitting in front of Westburg anymore. Brutal at bat for Cowser again in a crucial spot where he just needs to lift a deep flyball.

How do you not pinch hit for Mullins there? I’ve liked what Hyde has done since coming over but that doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism. Stowers is on the bench I guess to solely keep it toasty for everyone.

Hyde does the same thing every game. Splits up the LHH and RHH in lineup. 

Who are you hitting for him? Stowers is never hitting for him. 

6 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

I get not wanting the struggling Mullins to bat but I don’t think there’s a manager alive that is going to take a veteran out for a guy that’s been in the majors for five minutes. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hyde does the same thing every game. Splits up the LHH and RHH in lineup. 

Who are you hitting for him? Stowers is never hitting for him. 

You’re asking me who should hit for Mullins when I already suggested Stowers.

Mullins is 5 for his last 57; sure just go ahead and let him hit.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Which manager has one of their top 3 hitters in the 7th spot every night?

Why are they paying big bucks to Kimbrel for him to pitch the seventh every night?

So Kimbrel getting 3 outs in 7th cost them the game?

As far as Westburg they do this every game. Switch LHH and RHH. Not like 6 in front of him are bad. 

3 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I get not wanting the struggling Mullins to bat but I don’t think there’s a manager alive that is going to take a veteran out for a guy that’s been in the majors for five minutes. 

I understand why a manager wouldn’t do it but they have to make the tough calls.

Just now, KojiSplit said:

You’re asking me who should hit for Mullins when I already suggested Stowers.

Mullins is 5 for his last 57; sure just go ahead and let him hit.

Stowers is never hitting for him. End of story. 

You don’t PH a guy just called up for a proven vet. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Stowers is never hitting for him. End of story. 

You don’t PH a guy just called up for a proven vet. 

Sure, if you’re fine with not giving your team the best chance of winning then by all means let Mullins hit.

Mullins isn’t proving anything right now other than he can’t hit.

Fine, go with Hays then, that better?

Is Mullins going to feel less worse if Hays pinch hits for him instead of a rookie? (Not sure if Stowers is still a rookie but you get the point.)