Brandon Hyde 2024

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

He won't.  He hasn't been a shut down closer for years.  It was a risky signing that worked for a few weeks but the juice is gone.  He was throwing batting practice out there and should not be brought in for save situations any more.  

Kimbrel LITERALLY  struck out the side last night.   If we can manage his innings he'll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Malike said:

Closers typically have swing and miss stuff. When your closer pitches to contact, bad things can and often do happen. Cano had 14 save opportunities when Bautista went down, he had 8 saves.

Did he pitch his worst ball last season because it was in the 9th, or did he just happen to be pitching his worst ball at that point in the season?

I'm going to need a bigger sample size.

He sure just looked fine in the 9th right there, in a much more difficult save situation than is typical.

He's leading the league in ground ball %.  He strikes out plenty of guys in conjunction with that.

I seem to recall a guy named Brittong was a great closer without top end "swing and miss."

Just now, Pickles said:

Did he pitch his worst ball last season because it was in the 9th, or did he just happen to be pitching his worst ball at that point in the season?

I'm going to need a bigger sample size.

He sure just looked fine in the 9th right there, in a much more difficult save situation than is typical.

He's leading the league in ground ball %.  He strikes out plenty of guys in conjunction with that.

I seem to recall a guy named Brittong was a great closer without top end "swing and miss."

He's had two save opportunities this year, he's got 1 save. Sure he's the best option, I agree, so we can stop using data and just feelings. Cano for closer, 2024.

1 minute ago, riprulz8 said:

Kimbrel LITERALLY  struck out the side last night.   If we can manage his innings he'll be fine. 

If the O's can limit his innings he MIGHT be fine.  Striking out the side on a Cincinnati Reds team is one thing; striking out the side of a team that actually hits well on any amount of rest is another.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

He's had two save opportunities this year, he's got 1 save. Sure he's the best option, I agree, so we can stop using data and just feelings. Cano for closer, 2024.

dAtA 

A small sample size of save percentage.

That is one data point.

Who is the better option then?

Use the data.

26 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

This. I don’t know about the pothole part but props to Hyde for taking the “closer” out when he was clearly struggling 

Exactly.  I was playing a gig tonight and I wasn't able to turn on the radio until the bottom of the 9th.  Many managers--including Brandon Hyde most of the time--have a ride-or-die approach to their closer and won't take them out until they've blown the save. 

I applaud Hyde for his flexibility and I hope that he will take a closer-by-committee approach this season.  Kimbrell should be in the mix, but so should Coulombe, Perez, Cano and Webb based on matchups, situation, who's rested and who's pitching well.  

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

He’s not terribly far off from where Britton was is K/9 over his 3 good years here, or Mariano Rivera’s career average. Sure it would be great if K/9 were in the teens somewhere, but he does get a good number of ground balls.

FTR, I don’t love Cano there either, I’d be interested to see Suarez closing.

Hype made his best decision of the year by pulling Kimbrel. The O's are too good to have Kimbrel mess games up. They will probably have to trade for a closer before the season is over. 

43 minutes ago, Pickles said:

There's not a perfect answer, but avoid back to backs seems to make the most sense.

This is the 4th back to back the first three he went 1 inning didn’t walk a guy or give up a hit and struck out 4 so back to back hasn’t been issue.  

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think  Hyde is learning how to best use Kimbrel as he goes.   I think he’s going to really have to baby him to get the dominant performances and avoid the scary  ones.

Yep, live and learn.  

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Only problem with Cano closing is he can be so valuable getting high leverage outs in the 7th-8th. Ideally we would have another arm. 

Agreed, looking forward to seeing what Suarez can do back there. 

Closers, generally come in clean in the ninth...no one on base. Do you really need K's? You need some who throws strikes, keeps the ball in the park IMO. You also need someone who can adjust on the mound if he is having trouble finding the plate. Many of you get all hot for the guy that can throw upper 90's and K's 1+ / inning. Kimbrel makes me nervous Don Stanhouse nervous...at least he had a big K against Elly last night.

Oh, when do I want a K pitcher or relief pitcher?? When a guy comes in in a close game, inherited baserunners, runner on third, less than two outs (7-9 innings), good hitters up. Does anyone bring a "Closer" in in the 7th in those situations? Maybe the 8th with one out or two because of the match up.

We (baseball) have stereotyped "closers".... IMO, you need a guy with balls, and guys who opponents have trouble barreling up on, have the ability to pitch around difficult hitters.