Brandon Hyde 2024

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

A team is supposed to anticipate problems, that’s why you don’t want to have five good starters you want to have six or eight good starters.
Of course, even when you anticipate problems there are going to be problems you can’t deal with, and the problem with that situation is that that’s where we are now and so far the problems have not been dealt with in any meaningful way. We’ve tried out an extra four or five relievers, and none of them has had staying power, nor would any of them have been expected to based on their track record.

I have no problem with drafting position players and trading for pitching, but that comes with the knowledge that you’re going to pay a premium for your pitching acquisitions.

cake is not to be simultaneously had and eaten.

Yeah Bradish’s issue was known to Elias ahead of spring training. Means couldn’t be fully counted on anyways due to his health and Wells fell apart as a starter last year and shouldn’t have been counted on as a rotation certainty. Bautista’s absence was obviously known - Coulombe’s injury was unfortunate and really the only shocker so far. 

They’re in trouble right now because Irvin turned back into a pumpkin (same story as first half last year), Suarez is fading (he really shouldn’t have been relied on anyways), Kremer got hurt and hasn’t out pitched his peripherals like he did the previous 2 seasons, and Cano hasn’t been as reliable as he was last season. None of those are really all too surprising. He easily could have nabbed one more starter, although you could see how they did have a good amount of options even if there were some question marks. The pen absolutely could have used another good option though, which was clear at the time. Luckily, they’re in first place but the same issues persist so we will see if he fills the holes now. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hyde's strength as a manager isn't in game strategy.

I think he's probably really good at the off the field stuff, which is also important.

He is the same in game as any other manager..including Buck.

They all go by the same handbook.  They all make “questionable decisions”.

Edited by Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Every manager makes a questionable decision now and then but “questionable“ is basically synonymous with illogical.
The problem is when the manager continually makes the same illogical decision, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t but it’s not logical. Hyde constantly makes such moves. They are discussed in the game threads daily. Some of the complaints are just idle bitching, but many are legit observations.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah he should just pitch him 20 pitches every 3 days regardless of situation /s

Oh, better to just have him blow up every time you give him so much rest.  /s

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Buck managed the bullpen much better. Other than that, I agree and actually think Hyde’s guys love him more. 

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

Of course! But some baseball fans are more correct than others.

Not really. Recency bias affects nearly every fan, and I don't pretend the smartest fans in baseball just happen to post here, there are tens of thousands of posts that debunk that.

20 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Buck managed the bullpen much better. Other than that, I agree and actually think Hyde’s guys love him more. 

No, Buck had a better bullpen.  He didn’t manage it any differently. He set up matchups, he played his closer when it was a save situation only, etc…he just happened to have way better pitchers, so it looked better. Buck also had better defensive teams and that always helps too.

Hyde hasn’t had a lot to work with in the pen in his entire tenure here. Bautista for a year, DC for a year+ and some time of Cano..and Kimbrel for the most part this year.  Otherwise, it’s been a lot of meh and quite frankly, with the hand he has been dealt, the pen is still doing a relatively decent job overall.  

He has actually done more with less than Buck ever did.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, Buck had a better bullpen.  He didn’t manage it any differently. He set up matchups, he played his closer when it was a save situation only, etc…he just happened to have way better pitchers, so it looked better. Buck also had better defensive teams and that always helps too.

Hyde hasn’t had a lot to work with in the pen in his entire tenure here. Bautista for a year, DC for a year+ and some time of Cano..and Kimbrel for the most part this year.  Otherwise, it’s been a lot of meh and quite frankly, with the hand he has been dealt, the pen is still doing a relatively decent job overall.  

He has actually done more with less than Buck ever did.

Buck didn’t blow guys in the pen out.  He would never have overworked Bautista like Hyde did.  He kept pitchers healthy. 

• Thanks 1

Any talk of Buck and pen brings me back to a certain playoff game across the border. So, please don't hold Buck up as a master of the pen. I remember a lot of second guessing on here during Buck's tenure too. It comes with the territory. And, as SG pointed out, Buck had a much better pen most of the time. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

Any talk of Buck and pen brings me back to a certain playoff game across the border. So, please don't hold Buck up as a master of the pen. I remember a lot of second guessing on here during Buck's tenure too. It comes with the territory. And, as SG pointed out, Buck had a much better pen most of the time. 

I did like that Buck tried very hard to not warm a guy up if he wasn't going to end up in the game.

This is a prime example of cognitive bias.  I see that a lot. The facts are Buck did more with a lesser skilled Os team than I haven't seen since Earl Weaver.

He was a great manager.  Really not liking the way people pick a narrative and they all run with it.  This narrative being Buck sucked. 

As far as I remember his lesser skilled, lesser paid Os led the league in wins for a 3-4 year period in the mid 2010s.

But sure, lets talk about what a bad manager he was.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Haha 1