Brandon Hyde 2024

4 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I don’t think they are, but it’s more about the guys coming in for them than the guys going out.

I guess what I want to know is why Hyde is so dead set in believing that Ramon Urias can hit lefties. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I guess what I want to know is why Hyde is so dead set in believing that Ramon Urias can hit lefties. 

Ramon Urias has hit decently over the last several months.  I had no problem with the decision to let Urías bat, but man his bat looked slow in that AB.

20 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Povich has shown nothing so far in his big league starts and McDermott is likely out for the season. 

So did GRod, Kremer+. Povich has a taste of mlb and some potential at the back end of a rotation. 

Forgot about McDermott being out! 

25 minutes ago, Winter said:

is there anyway to see if a rookie of the year favorite and one of the hottest hitters in the game was ever pinch hit for a rookie who hasn’t had a hit in the league before?  has it ever been done before tonight?

I don't wish for injuries, but I do hope it was because Cowser was having some discomfort. Cowser isn't only the Orioles hottest hitter the past month he also doesn't have severe platoon splits against LHP.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Ramon Urias has hit decently over the last several months.  I had no problem with the decision to let Urías bat, but man his bat looked slow in that AB.

It didn't kill me that they let him bat.   That said,  given the situations,  I'd have pulled him and let someone else hit for him before I would have for Holliday and Cowser.  They both have been swinging very well and should have been allowed to hit.   Letting Urias hit is defensible but not when you pinch hit for the guy before and after him instead. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know how many of you here are Ravens fans but I cant get last night's game out of my head. It's a similar feeling (on a difference scale) to the bonehead decisions our coaches made in the AFC Championship Game.

Hyde made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen in a very winnable game. I don't care what analytics say, in certain situations you go by your gut and your brain. Holliday and Cowser are our hottest hitters, you leave them in to be heroes. Burch Smith should have been left in, he was pitching well and only gave up a soft single to Vlad. And then you bring in Soto of all people? And you leave him in even though he has NOTHING? Why??

Sometimes I literally wonder if Elias is in Hyde's ear saying "I traded for this guy, USE HIM". 

7 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Holliday’s minor league splits this year. And Cowser this year has a 718 OPS lefties vs 820 against righties.

IMG_1665.jpeg

I disagree whole heartedly with the pinch hitting decisions last night. But AAA lefties are not MLB lefties so its hard to use AAA splits when it comes to R/L in my opinion. With that said- its hard to accumulate MLB splits when your manager doesn't let you hit against lefties. I generally think Hyde gets too much unwarranted criticism around here, but that 8th inning was inexcusably bad. Probably should have let all three original hitters hit, or pinch hit Slater for Urias only. Maybe that wouldnt have worked out as well, but I'd certainly rather roll with Holliday and Cowser. Just an overall awful day for the Orioles:

- Grayson probably done for the year

- Wasted an amazing last minute performance from Suarez

- Absolute bullpen blunder to blow the game from Soto (questionable to put him in, but I can see why, and its on Soto to get a damn lefty out in that situation)

- Ridiculous 8th inning pinch hit decisions/overmanaging

- Lose to a team who is basically tanking with rookies and replacement level players

- Bullpen now fried for tomorrow

- Fall out of first place officially after barely holding on for so long

- Now only 5 up on the Red Sox

- Trevor Rogers today

- Chayse McDermott done for the year as well

What did I miss? Could use a big win today in the worst way. I thought this week would be a great opportunity to continue to build the good vibed back. Blue Jays and Rays and Nats back to back to back. HAVE to take advantage. 

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I don't know how many of you here are Ravens fans but I cant get last night's game out of my head. It's a similar feeling (on a difference scale) to the bonehead decisions our coaches made in the AFC Championship Game.

Hyde made some of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen in a very winnable game. I don't care what analytics say, in certain situations you go by your gut and your brain. Holliday and Cowser are our hottest hitters, you leave them in to be heroes. Burch Smith should have been left in, he was pitching well and only gave up a soft single to Vlad. And then you bring in Soto of all people? And you leave him in even though he has NOTHING? Why??

Sometimes I literally wonder if Elias is in Hyde's ear saying "I traded for this guy, USE HIM". 

Yes, Harbaugh and Hyde must be related 

I think they come into a game with “a plan” and they aren’t going to deviate no matter what the game situation is.  Harbaugh I think is just hard headed.  I could go on for hours about Harbaugh but this isn’t the place.   He has long passed his expiration date 

Hyde, I think just isn’t all that sharp.