Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

This is a prime example of cognitive bias.  I see that a lot. The facts are Buck did more with a lesser skilled Os team than I haven't seen since Earl Weaver.

He was a great manager.  Really not liking the way people pick a narrative and they all run with it.  This narrative being Buck sucked. 

As far as I remember his lesser skilled, lesser paid Os led the league in wins for a 3-4 year period in the mid 2010s.

But sure, lets talk about what a bad manager he was.

Bucks record as O's manager.

669-684

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

669-684

IMO he did more with less than any Os manager since Earl.  Go ahead and argue that.  We all have our opinions.

And I completely discount his last year here.  That was a throwaway season. 

The fact is imo?  He added something special to the team.  Which is rare for a manager. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

IMO he did more with less than any Os manager since Earl.  Go ahead and argue that.  We all have our opinions.

And I completely discount his last year here.  That was a throwaway season. 

The fact is imo?  He added something special to the team.  Which is rare for a manager. 

Oh, let's just throw out data because it's inconvenient!

That team quit on him.  That isn't relevant?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh, let's just throw out data because it's inconvenient!

That team quit on him.  That isn't relevant?

Look, If you want to argue that Buck was not a good manager? Feel free.

Nothing I could ever say would you take into consideration.  Just like I won't with you.

Is what it is.   Just don't call me a A**le like so many others on here do for having a simple opinion about an Os player or manager. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

Look, If you want to argue that Buck was not a good manager? Feel free.

Nothing I could ever say would you take into consideration.  Just like I won't with you.

Is what it is.   Just don't call me a A**le like so many others on here do for having a simple opinion about an Os player or manager. 

I'm not saying he wasn't good.

But I do think he's overrated as a manger.  I told a friend who is a Mets fan that Buck wasn't the guy for the job.

And I've never heard of anyone saying "Buck sucked" that's just making stuff up.

18 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

This is a prime example of cognitive bias.  I see that a lot. The facts are Buck did more with a lesser skilled Os team than I haven't seen since Earl Weaver.

He was a great manager.  Really not liking the way people pick a narrative and they all run with it.  This narrative being Buck sucked. 

As far as I remember his lesser skilled, lesser paid Os led the league in wins for a 3-4 year period in the mid 2010s.

But sure, lets talk about what a bad manager he was.

He was a good manager. But he wasn’t some deity that people make him out to be. He was great with the media and in the clubhouse. The best thing he did for the Os is that he changed the culture of the org.

On the field, he was no different than anyone else.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Not really. Recency bias affects nearly every fan, and I don't pretend the smartest fans in baseball just happen to post here, there are tens of thousands of posts that debunk that.

Oh, you misunderstood. I wasn’t implying that Os fans are smarter than others(nor the opposite) I was just saying that some fan complaints are totally valid and others are just idle complaining.

I’ll let others decide which are which.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He was a good manager. But he wasn’t some deity that people make him out to be. He was great with the media and in the clubhouse. The best thing he did for the Os is that he changed the culture of the org.

On the field, he was no different than anyone else.

I didn't love some of the player interactions.

Kim for instance.

I also didn't care for him publicly dressing down a minor league player for poor pitch selection when he never said a word about Jones and Schoop.

Hyde wouldn't take things public like that.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying he wasn't good.

But I do think he's overrated as a manger.  I told a friend who is a Mets fan that Buck wasn't the guy for the job.

And I've never heard of anyone saying "Buck sucked" that's just making stuff up.

I just think for the Os?  He was the perfect manager for them at the perfect time. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't love some of the player interactions.

Kim for instance.

I also didn't care for him publicly dressing down a minor league player for poor pitch selection when he never said a word about Jones and Schoop.

Hyde wouldn't take things public like that.

Yeah I agree the Kim thing I never understood.  That was weird. 

I just think for the Os?  He was the perfect manager for them at the perfect time. 

He was but not because of what he did on the field. He was brilliant off the field. He also came into a better situation than Hyde did and, again as far as the pen goes, he had way better talent out there.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He was but not because of what he did on the field. He was brilliant off the field. He also came into a better situation than Hyde did and, again as far as the pen goes, he had way better talent out there.

So we can find common ground!  Kind of.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

669-684

Yeah, but take out 47-115 and you get 622-569. Chris Tillman was on Buck, but I don’t know how much responsibility he had for the rest of that appalling roster.