4/7 at Pirates

Morgan423

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

Maybe I'm indeed overreacting about the offense. They were good last year and will be good again this year. What won't change is the bullpen sucking. They sucked last year without Batista (even with him) and they will continue to suck. It was the achilles hill last year, and nothing was done to fix it, apparently.

Bullpen has not sucked this year 

• Upvote 2

Just now, O's84 said:

Elias knew about Bradish well prior to the season.  Means is a question mark as well.  If he grabbed another starter he could of pushed Wells to the pen, fortifying it.

There was more than enough evidence that just getting Kimbrel wasn't enough to fortify the Orioles bullpen in advance of this season. The pitching staff has been my biggest concern with the Bautista out and the uncertain status of Means and Bradish.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MDK02 said:

It’s possible this team just isn’t very good. I know we have high expectations but our bullpen is really bad and our bats aren’t what we thought. 

Our bullpen has actually been very good this year. They're just one impact high leverage reliever short. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There was more than enough evidence that just getting Kimbrel wasn't enough to fortify the Orioles bullpen in advance of this season. The pitching staff has been my biggest concern with the Bautista out and the uncertain status of Means and Bradish.

Truthfully, the bullpen is the team's greatest actual weakness. Yes, the bats are cold, but that'll come 'round.

But there are multiple guys in the bullpen right now that probably shouldn't be pitching in high-leverage situations for a defending division champ.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I just watched again.  Tellez didn’t slide.  Looks like that really threw Gunnar’s throw off. Not sure if Tellez had to slide there. 

He didn't, he just has to keep a line to the base.  He was close enough to be in compliance.

7 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Should have put it in his pocket, for sure. Rough ending.

That said, the bullpen has been a mess, too. 

We have one of the best bullpen numbers in baseball so far this year.  It is like people don’t even pay attention.  The offense is giving the pitching staff no breathing room that is the issue in most the games outside 1st 2 games.  Some guys  need to start hitting by May or there will be some moves coming.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

It’s possible this team just isn’t very good. I know we have high expectations but our bullpen is really bad and our bats aren’t what we thought. 

I think the bats are what we thought. Bullpen will ruin the season/postseason/our BP once again if nothing's done.

Managers very rarely get an opportunity to use just 1 or 2 pitchers in today's game. Even in a close game, it would have been a good idea to stick with Akin considering how he's looked, and how easy the 8th was for him.

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I actually don’t think that’s possible. It’s definitely possible they won’t win as many games as last year, but they are a good team. They could easily be at least 7-2 right now, and all three teams they have played have winning records.