Carter Baumler 2024

Frobby

Oft-injured Carter Baumler pitched a couple of innings yesterday for Aberdeen, allowing a run on 2 hits while striking out 3.   The run was classified as unearned but resulted from a single where the runner reached 2B on an error, followed later by a run-scoring double, so who’s to say if the runner would have scored even without the error.   Anyway, good to see Baumler on the mound, and he was reasonably efficient, throwing only 29 pitches in two innings, 19 for strikes.   It will be interesting to see how he’s used as the season progresses.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Very interesting to see him only go a few innings. I need to go back and watch him and DeLeon throw, but either way, good to see him at least healthy. 

I wonder if Aberdeen’s video feed is up to snuff this year.   If so, I’ll definitely want to hear your thoughts on these two, and Baumeister.  

He used a 4-pitch mix, though he was was heavy fastball curveball. Threw 19 or 29 (65.5%) pitches for strikes, getting 6 whiffs (3xCB,2xCU,1xFB). No velocity readings from the broadcasters who spent one of the innings actually thinking Baumler was Baumeister (Good Lord). 

The curveball was pretty good overall, a 12-6 breaker that he felt comfortable throwing behind in the count. He threw the cutter up with some success, but only saw 1 changeup that he didn't throw for a strike. His fastball was hard several times and the batters seemed to see it well.

Definitely worth watching how he's used this year. He would move a lot faster as a reliever and he'll need to be protected on the 40-man this offseason of risk being selected in the Rule 5 draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He used a 4-pitch mix, though he was was heavy fastball curveball. Threw 19 or 29 (65.5%) pitches for strikes, getting 6 whiffs (3xCB,2xCU,1xFB). No velocity readings from the broadcasters who spent one of the innings actually thinking Baumler was Baumeister (Good Lord). 

The curveball was pretty good overall, a 12-6 breaker that he felt comfortable throwing behind in the count. He threw the cutter up with some success, but only saw 1 changeup that he didn't throw for a strike. His fastball was hard several times and the batters seemed to see it well.

Definitely worth watching how he's used this year. He would move a lot faster as a reliever and he'll need to be protected on the 40-man this offseason of risk being selected in the Rule 5 draft.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we are worried someone will take him in the rule 5 after this season.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we are worried someone will take him in the rule 5 after this season.

I wouldn’t.   Teams love to take pitchers and just stash them at the back of their bullpen.  

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I wouldn’t.   Teams love to take pitchers and just stash them at the back of their bullpen.  

How many pitchers were taken in this years Rule 5?  How many actually stuck and made the ML team?   How many had no AAA experience?   How many had no AA experience?    How many were RHP in A ball and threw low 90’s?

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

How many pitchers were taken in this years Rule 5?  How many actually stuck and made the ML team?   How many had no AAA experience?   How many had no AA experience?    How many were RHP in A ball and threw low 90’s?

How many argumentative rhetorical questions can be enscribed on the head of a pin?

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Point is, we’ll only be worried about this if Baumler stays healthy and has a solid season.  Hence, it would be a pleasant surprise to be worried about this.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Point is, we’ll only be worried about this if Baumler stays healthy and has a solid season.  Hence, it would be a pleasant surprise to be worried about this.  

Step one: Have him get through an entire season without injury.
Step two: Evaluate the stuff and it's readiness in the big leagues to see if there's a chance he could be taken.
Step three: Evaluate the 40-man to see if there is room
Step Four: Make decision on whether to protect him

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’m not going to answer all these questions, but as to the first two: eight pitchers were selected, six made the majors, and the other two are on the IL with the team that selected them.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to answer all these questions, but as to the first two: eight pitchers were selected, six made the majors, and the other two are on the IL with the team that selected them.  

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we are worried about losing Baumler at the end of the year.  I think he’s going to have to perform really well for that to happen, forcing his way to AA and performing well there.  Could happen.  

51 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

How many argumentative rhetorical questions can be enscribed on the head of a pin?

51 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Close to infinity and beyond.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we are worried about losing Baumler at the end of the year.  I think he’s going to have to perform really well for that to happen, forcing his way to AA and performing well there.  Could happen.  

I agree completely.  Right now I’m much more worried about him actually getting through a season healthy.