Holliday called up!

jcaponio

IMO, this is a terrible move. (Worse then Kemp. Worse then sitting Cowser.)

There is ZERO chance I would bring up a Boras client with his potential, ahead of the service time window. ZERO.

Betting on Holliday to win ROY is a nice sentiment, but it is FAR from a sure thing. We will ALL be crying about this in 6 years. 5 if they trade him for his earning power.

Edited by E-D-D-I-E

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Derosa on MLB Central this morning compared Holliday to Robinson Cano.  I hadn't heard that one before.  I like it.

Hopefully, our guy isn’t on the special juice like Cano was.

15 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I had to look this up because I thought the 2nd place finisher also got their team some sort of pick, but according to this, the top 3 finishers get their team a pick? I didn’t think that was the case. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33761266/the-end-mlb-service-manipulation-how-kris-bryant-paved-way-next-kris-bryant

“A new system put in place now rewards teams with extra draft picks if they promote their top prospects on Opening Day. A player who receives a full year of service time and finishes in the top three in Rookie of the Year voting or top five in MVP/Cy Young voting will earn his team an extra draft pick coming after the first round.”

I think the ESPN article is incorrect, or this was changed at a later date, because this more recent post from MLB says it's win the ROY or finish top three of MVP/CY.

In short, an MLB club can earn a Draft pick after the first round if a PPI-eligible player accrues one year of service as a rookie and then factors into a major award. That means he either has to win his league’s Rookie of the Year award or place in the top three in MVP or Cy Young voting prior to qualifying for arbitration.

1 minute ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

There is ZERO chance I would bring up a Boras client with his potential, ahead of the service time window. ZERO.

Betting on Holliday to win ROY is a nice sentiment, but it FAR from a sure thing. We will ALL be crying about this in 6 years. 5 if they trade him for his earning power.

Right but if you wait past the service time date and he finishes top 3, then you get nothing. 

1 minute ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Betting on Holliday to win ROY is a nice sentiment, but it is FAR from a sure thing. We will ALL be crying about this in 6 years. 5 if they trade him for his earning power.

I agree that we’ll be crying about it in 6 years.  It’s questionable.  I’m getting old.   I don’t care about 6 years from now, today.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I think the ESPN article is incorrect, or this was changed at a later date, because this more recent post from MLB says it's win the ROY or finish top three of MVP/CY.

Thanks. It’s hard to keep up with all these changes. I did find a couple other articles that concurred with the ESPN one but they were from 2023. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Urias and Westburg hit in ST so they made the team.

After 10 games Elias was tired of Urias, Westburg and Kemp not hitting while Holliday hit for over a 1.000 OPS at AAA.

That is all it took to make the move.

History repeats its self.  Elias optioned Irvin on April 14th last year because he was pitching poorly.

I doubt Elias is very bothered by Westburg right now, and Kemp only has 10 PA. I'd also be absolutely shocked if someone as methodical as Elias suddenly decided to change his plan regarding the #1 prospect in baseball based on the results of first 10 games. How Elias dealt with his 5th starter/swingman not being able to throw strikes vs how he handles the crown jewel of his system are going to be two very different things, not history repeating.