Holliday called up!

jcaponio

I have to assume the plan at the end of spring training was to keep Holliday down longer, but after Urias and Kemp were not hitting, they felt the need was greater then they had anticipated.  I think they saw something in spring training that they liked in Kemp-kemp had a great spring; but whatever it was did not carry over and they pivoted to try to win ROY and give the team a boost.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

They are just waiting until the home series to announce the extension.

I really do wonder if there is something to this.  I mentioned it earlier. Not saying it’s imminent but I wonder if talks are happening and this is a good faith gesture and they feel it’s going to get done.

That would make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I had to look this up because I thought the 2nd place finisher also got their team some sort of pick, but according to this, the top 3 finishers get their team a pick? I didn’t think that was the case. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33761266/the-end-mlb-service-manipulation-how-kris-bryant-paved-way-next-kris-bryant

“A new system put in place now rewards teams with extra draft picks if they promote their top prospects on Opening Day. A player who receives a full year of service time and finishes in the top three in Rookie of the Year voting or top five in MVP/Cy Young voting will earn his team an extra draft pick coming after the first round.”

Wow, 3 draft picks would be hard to imagine, but 2 with Cowser and hopefully Holliday doing well is definitely possible.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Wow, 3 draft picks would be hard to imagine, but 2 with Cowser and hopefully Holliday doing well is definitely possible.

I think when it was at that stage each team would only be eligible for one pick.

1 minute ago, EdwinRip said:

I have to assume the plan at the end of spring training was to keep Holliday down longer, but after Urias and Kemp were not hitting, they felt the need was greater then they had anticipated.  I think they saw something in spring training that they liked in Kemp-kemp had a great spring; but whatever it was did not carry over and they pivoted to try to win ROY and give the team a boost.

Kemp got a total of 10 PA. Sure they aren't judging anything on 2 games worth of at bats. I also can't help but feel like they would have called up Norby if it was just a reaction to Urias not hitting. Elias is the same guy who was so committed to his plan that he traded away Mancini and Lopez in the middle of a potential playoff run. Two years later and he's just flying by the seat of his pants with Jackson Holliday? It's so odd. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The only reason I find it interesting is because he’s an ex elite WR and knows how to play the position. 
    • After seeing it more this morning, I think the throw to Likely before that was actually worse. The Flowers play can at least be several different reasons why it didn’t work. The Likely play was just bad football by Lamar. 
    • Didn't Lamar say he was throwing it to Bateman? Ultimately it doesn't matter who's fault it is, also it's hard to take anything that nut job Antonio Brown says seriously.
    • One persons conclusions are merely another person’s observations and commentary.  I’m not drawing any long term conclusions.   I’m merely observing that the level of futility he’s displayed so far is probably worse than any Elias college draft pick, 1st round or 10th round, ever.   Even knowing he’s a bit of a project who probably needs significant adjustments, it’s a bit alarming to see the amount of swing and miss especially when you combine that with the lack of power. At this time next year, he could be in Bowie, hitting .280 with a 25% strikeout rate and be our #1 or #2 prospect.   Certainly possible.    That doesn’t change the fact that his debut has been abysmal to this point.
    • He’s been very pitch-efficient there compared to how he was at Aberdeen, as I also noted in my prior post.
    • Jim Bowden published his top 50 prospects list today in the Athletic, and Coby Mayo is nowhere to be found (sorry, Roy).   But he did have Samuel Basallo at no. 9 and Enrique Bradfield Jr. at no. 36.   Here’s what he had to say about them: 9. Samuel Basallo, C/1B, Orioles (Triple A) Age: 20 Bats: L Throws: R Height: 6-4 Weight: 180 Scouting grades: HIT: 60 PWR: 65 RUN: 45 ARM: 60 FLD: 45 For whatever reason, Samuel Basallo doesn’t get the same attention as many of the Orioles’ top prospects, which is difficult to understand if you’ve seen him swing a bat. He posted an .820 OPS this season at Double A, with 22 doubles, 16 homers and 55 RBIs in 398 at-bats, but got off to a slow start after his recent promotion to Triple A. He’s a below-average defender behind the plate with a strong arm, but there is no doubt he’s going to hit for power at the next level. In all likelihood, Basallo will eventually share catching, first base and DH duties with Adley Rutschman when fully developed as the Orioles will aim to keep both catchers healthy for the long term. 36. Enrique Bradfield Jr., CF, Orioles (Double A) Age: 22 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6-1 Weight: 173 Scouting grades: HIT: 50 PWR: 30 RUN: 80 ARM: 45 FLD: 75 Enrique Bradfield Jr. is among the best leadoff hitters in the minor leagues, with blazing speed that’s allowed him to steal 69 bases this year. He’s logged a .348 on-base percentage this season between High A and Double A and continues to improve his hit tool. He profiles as a Gold Glove-caliber center fielder. Drafted 17th overall last year, Bradfield is the Orioles’ future center fielder and should be ready for the majors in 2026.  I am not a big Bowden fan, but thought people would be interested to see his thoughts anyway.
  • Popular Contributors