Brothers in Christ

Explosivo

15 minutes ago, Babkins said:

Counterpoint: The book is a complicated, layered, richly allegorical work of literature, whereas the film is a beautifully shot, revisionist, dumbed-down piece of Hollywood schlock. I'll die on this hill.

Ps. Did you watch Ted Lasso? If so, then you heavily borrowed that book review!! 😀

Edited by Ohfan67

19 minutes ago, Babkins said:

Counterpoint: The book is a complicated, layered, richly allegorical work of literature, whereas the film is a beautifully shot, revisionist, dumbed-down piece of Hollywood schlock. I'll die on this hill.

You won’t die alone. Malumud is brilliant and the book is far superior to the movie. 

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

That’s not to say the film isn’t enjoyable! But the book is masterful. 

The movie was a childhood favorite for me and I was in funky headspace when I read the book. I may have appreciated it more if I could divorce my feelings for the sappy movie, which I totally admit is sappy, from the experience of the book.   

I don't fault anyone for believing in what they believe in. Even those who believe in nothing, still believe, it's just in nothing. Faith cannot be escaped! :D

Seriously, I don't think any of this is inappropriate, we all have the freedom to believe in what we choose and should be respected in our beliefs or lack thereof.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2002/05/26/batista-keeps-faith-and-quirks-with-os/

What a quirky fellow - used to stagger around at 3B after the first pitch of every game to catch an imaginary pop-up from God.

“If I believe in Jesus Christ more than the pitcher, I’m going to have a base hit,” he said. “If he believes more, he’s going to strike me out.”

I always loved the quote referenced above.  I used to sit at games, watch him strike out and bat below .250, and think "Man, there sure are a lot of uber-religious pitchers facing Tony Bautista."

Thank you for this - he's always been one of my favorite weird Orioles.

I'm surprised that God hits so many pop-ups tho...

It matters to me that the team I root for has good guys on it.  If their faith helps them toward that end that's great but I also don't think you have to be religious to choose to do the right thing.  I do always cringe when athletes start an interview with thanking God/Jesus, etc.  At some point it rings a little hollow - more like a reflex than it carrying real meaning.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

It matters to me that the team I root for has good guys on it.  If their faith helps them toward that end that's great but I also don't think you have to be religious to choose to do the right thing.  I do always cringe when athletes start an interview with thanking God/Jesus, etc.  At some point it rings a little hollow - more like a reflex than it carrying real meaning.

I agree and I think that’s what triggered the start of the thread for me. The post game interview with Jackson struck a different chord with me. It felt to me like he really meant those words and upon uttering, a little shy about it, but after I saw a different resolve. I’m probably reading way too much into it, but man, it just felt different to me. 

16 hours ago, Explosivo said:

This team is special in so many ways. That’s a given, but a differentiation perhaps might arise in this team’s seemingly united love of Christ. The Jackson Holliday postgame interview, highlighting his pre-at bat ritual of drawing a cross in the dirt, giving all glory to Jesus, I tell ya, this team is easy to root for. Gunnar is like that. Adley is like that. Westy is like that. Cowser is like that. Mounty is like that. The list goes on and on. Couldn’t be prouder of them, but the fact they are equally yolked is, I think, a rarity and something that should be cherished and exalted.

Well said...they seem to have great chemistry. Hopefully, this will provoke some to sign long-term with us!

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Ps. Did you watch Ted Lasso? If so, then you heavily borrowed that book review!! 😀

I did watch Ted Lasso, and I enjoyed it a lot, but if there was any reference to The Natural, I have long forgotten it. I've held my opinion of the film ever since I first read the book, which was probably in 2006 or 2007. I loved the film as a child, but once I read the book, I just felt that I'd been lied to.

19 minutes ago, Babkins said:

I did watch Ted Lasso, and I enjoyed it a lot, but if there was any reference to The Natural, I have long forgotten it. I've held my opinion of the film ever since I first read the book, which was probably in 2006 or 2007. I loved the film as a child, but once I read the book, I just felt that I'd been lied to.

I feel it is like what happened with the Shining.  Totally changed up the story but it was still genius.  The Movie "The Natural" totally wanted to bathe in the sea of esoteric Godhead masculine/feminine powers of the Universe.  And for that I love it also.  They are pretty heavy handed with it and if you know what they are doing it is quite fun.  I really giggle everytime Glen Close does the whole Columbia female Goddess thing standing in the stands holding a phallic shaped object and the sun goes through her hat like the corona of a Goddess and blast him.  Then he launches a mega blast.  It really is sexual energy.  So for all that fun I love the movie.  

2 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

I do always cringe when athletes start an interview with thanking God/Jesus, etc.  At some point it rings a little hollow - more like a reflex than it carrying real meaning.

I get bothered when politicians say they're humbled, like human beings get more humble when they have crowds cheering and saying how great they are. 

I figure it's in good taste to add a non-political point about politics to a non-religious thread about religion. Lol.

• Haha 1