Orioles are the highest scoring team in the AL this season

SteveA

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kjerstad, Norby and Mayo.

I remember when Kjerstad was drafted as saying I wouldn't spend a 1-2 on a guy that was at best a Corner outfielder. 

Not sure what Stowers rep was out of school.

Have any of those first three made substantive gains with the glove?

Mayo definitely has. The others, not so much. 

4 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

And suddenly they're 4th in the majors in home runs just behind the Dodgers, Brewers and Padres.  Not really concerned about the O's offense.  

It’s just odd. Cowser and Westburg are the only ones overperforming.  The rest are pretty much underperforming. 

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s just odd. Cowser and Westburg are the only ones overperforming.  The rest are pretty much underperforming. 

I'm not sure Mullins, O'Hearn, and Mountcastle are underperforming.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Mullins isn't underperforming anymore.  He has an .827 OPS and .500 SLG. 

O'Hearn is certainly not underperforming, neither is Mountcastle.  

It's the top 3 in the lineup who are underperforming, but Gunnar feels like he could break open any minute.  Adley is getting on base with a .333 OBP, but he's not driving the ball much.  I think he need a little more rest, but he'll get on track soon I think.

Santander is pretty cold, but he was exactly the same last April.  Then he picked it up the end of the month and starting ripping things up in May.

Then there are several guys in the minors waiting their turn if any of these guys can't produce.  Just can't find a reason to really be concerned.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Mullins isn't underperforming anymore.  He has an .827 OPS and .500 SLG. 

O'Hearn is certainly not underperforming, neither is Mountcastle.  

It's the top 3 in the lineup who are underperforming, but Gunnar feels like he could break open any minute.  Adley is getting on base with a .333 OBP, but he's not driving the ball much.  I think he need a little more rest, but he'll get on track soon I think.

Santander is pretty cold, but he was exactly the same last April.  Then he picked it up the end of the month and starting ripping things up in May.

Then there are several guys in the minors waiting their turn if any of these guys can't produce.  Just can't find a reason to really be concerned.

Good pts.  

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kjerstad, Norby and Mayo.

I remember when Kjerstad was drafted as saying I wouldn't spend a 1-2 on a guy that was at best a Corner outfielder. 

Not sure what Stowers rep was out of school.

Have any of those first three made substantive gains with the glove?

Mayo went from a player some said would have to move off 3rd to someone who could stick there.   Norby and Kjerstad were described as “average to slightly below average defenders” and that’s probably about what they are now.   So, I’d say Mayo is the only one to make substantive gains with the glove.    

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, game threads have always been like that.

They were leading MLB with hitting with RISP and folks were still complaining about the lack of clutch hitting last year.

Just like the poster that's evidently disappointed Adley is only the best catcher in baseball and not the best catcher that hits 50 dongs a year.

Is Adley the best catcher in baseball? I like him as much as the next guy, but we did expect more power from him when he was drafted 1:1. Now I know his impact on the Orioles and I love that we have him, but looking at the stats currently, he's certainly not playing like the best catcher in baseball.

image.thumb.png.695293623c2108a3f626c79475d3b96a.png

image.thumb.png.5b6504355c477ac2ccb5e1dc17a16b73.png

image.thumb.png.873a6e33b7a7309c29f4e3a4aaadb667.png

image.thumb.png.bc678a48d7c7d0537646953bda23de73.png

image.thumb.png.18462e71df2566a358eca824f3a40548.png

In 2023 his framing was good, but 12th overall and 31st so far this year.

image.thumb.png.61bd36cc75456949c51f80d041d7eb3f.pngOver the last two years his 21% caught stealing rate and 0  Catcher's CS Above Average is only mediocre.

So While I like Adley, and I do think he's among the top 10 catchers in baseball, I don't think he's the absolute "best catcher in baseball". Can he heat up and become that? Sure. But over the last two years he's not been that no matter what the pundits say.

And yes, we do expect him to hit more home runs than he has the last two years. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Is Adley the best catcher in baseball? I like him as much as the next guy, but we did expect more power from him when he was drafted 1:1. Now I know his impact on the Orioles and I love that we have him, but looking at the stats currently, he's certainly not playing like the best catcher in baseball.

image.thumb.png.695293623c2108a3f626c79475d3b96a.png

image.thumb.png.5b6504355c477ac2ccb5e1dc17a16b73.png

image.thumb.png.873a6e33b7a7309c29f4e3a4aaadb667.png

image.thumb.png.bc678a48d7c7d0537646953bda23de73.png

image.thumb.png.18462e71df2566a358eca824f3a40548.png

In 2023 his framing was good, but 12th overall and 31st so far this year.

image.thumb.png.61bd36cc75456949c51f80d041d7eb3f.pngOver the last two years his 21% caught stealing rate and 0  Catcher's CS Above Average is only mediocre.

So While I like Adley, and I do think he's among the top 10 catchers in baseball, I don't think he's the absolute "best catcher in baseball". Can he heat up and become that? Sure. But over the last two years he's not been that no matter what the pundits say.

And yes, we do expect him to hit more home runs than he has the last two years. 

Have you ever seen a guy that strikes out so little, swings so hard, but so often ends up hitting weak fly balls to the outfield?  It's really odd.  His Savant page seems to indicate a lot of hard contact, but I have watched every game and it seems that anything in the air to the outfield is generally softly hit.  I almost wonder if he has an inordinate amount of 95-100 mph contact skewing his stats.  I can't find if that is the case on Baseball Savant.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Have you ever seen a guy that strikes out so little, swings so hard, but so often ends up hitting weak fly balls to the outfield?  It's really odd.  His Savant page seems to indicate a lot of hard contact, but I have watched every game and it seems that anything in the air to the outfield is generally softly hit.  I almost wonder if he has an inordinate amount of 95-100 mph contact skewing his stats.  I can't find if that is the case on Baseball Savant.

I would take just more doubles from Adley at this point. I don't even need him to hit home runs. 

At the end of the year, Adley will have his usual power numbers, I have no doubt.  At this point the diiference between his past SLG and current is like five total bases.  He could make that up in a single game.  It’s trivial.  

I have expected him eventually to hit another gear beyond his 2022-23 performance, not that there’s anything wrong with his historical level.   I’m a little less optimistic now that there is another gear, but certainly not ruling it out.