Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I know I'm getting up there in age (54) but this is why I despise Tiktok (besides it being a tool to collect data for the Chinese government). Why would anyone think that needs to be recoded and put online? 

And call me old school, but why would a major league baseball player be doing stuff like this in season? I mean I get this is off time, and I'm not expecting him to be crying in a corner when he gets home because he's in the middle of his worse slump of his life, but it's not a good look when your struggling to be worrying about doing dumb TiktoK videos with your girl.

Now saying all that, do I think this has anything to do with his awful slump? No, I do not.

Do I think he should keep a low profile on Tiktok videos with his girl in season, yes I do. 

A bad girlfriend can ruin a baseball player, at least at the high school level. I still tell a lot of my players that the quickest way out of the game is an arm injury, and the second quickest way out is a girl

6 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

True, I have noticed a little in the past but see  it more now. That and the going down to one knee that he does sometime. So frustrating as like others he is my favorite player, I really do think it's got to be some kind of coaching issue. He didn't do this that much the past 2 years

He seems to have aged quickly....here is hoping he keep his value up enough over the last month to get a top starter from the Mariners for him. 

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I think Adley is dealing with more than back issues right now

Very cringe worthy

That was brutal. Pretty hard for me to get behind Adley as a favorite player candidate after watching that. Hope Gunnar stays off Tik Tok and keeps his personal business to himself!

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting. Adley needs to address this in the offseason.  Now we can see why I guy like Burnes that has great control wanted to throw to McCann.

Is Adley part to blame for Burnes’ recent struggles?  Burnes can’t throw low

McCann caught Burnes’ last game.  

50 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

He seems to have aged quickly....

Yes, he aged 20 years between June and July!

I wish I knew what was wrong with Adley, but it’s got nothing to do with him aging.  He was playing at a 6 WAR pace for half a season.  He’s been a completely different player since then.   The reason I’m guessing he’s hurt is that he’s not striking out, he’s just not hitting the ball with authority, and that suggests some kind of physical limitation.  But I don’t know that an injury is the reason, I just suspect it.  

16 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

One of the hallmarks of a bad manager is not moving a player struggling as much as Adley has for as long as he has down in the lineup. 

Adley should be hitting 6th or lower until he heats up or until whatever injury he has - if it's a back injury or anything else - improves. 

That a lot easier said then done when no one is hitting.  You can move everyone down.  We would have to just play 5 guys in the 7, 8, 9 hole.  

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Good stuff there

The problem with comparing this is one is a right handed batter and one is a left handed hitter.  Alvarez is on the outside corner vs a left handed hitter so you can be up a few inches because the bat path is much different.  In Adleys case it is a fastball in so you have to stay back a bit more because if he reaches out and batter is swinging you are going to get catchers interference a lot easier on inside pitches then if you on the outside part.  If you look at the stances you also see Holiday is a good half step deeper in the batters box so again Alvarez can slide up a bit closer and not worry about catchers interference.  I am not saying Adley good at framing or anything but ther is huge difference how a catcher is taught to receive pitches inside vs outside.  

The biggest thing I see in that video is what in the world is the umpire doing in the pitch to Jackson he stays off the right shoulder and gets clear angle for low pitch but he would be guessing on a pitch on the outside edge.  In the other at bat with Adley catching he is way inside and almost has 75% of the vision of the plate blocked.  He has no chance seeing the outside edge at all and not even the middle low pitch because Adleys head would be blocking it.  One thing to consider though is the size difference in catchers.  Adley and McCann are big taller catchers about 6”3 each.  Alvarez is listed as 5”11 but watching that series I think he looked even smaller.  I used to ump back in the day in high school and twilight ball and I hated when there was a big tall catcher because it was much much harder to see over him or around him.  They just block a lot of your angles.  I would bet the better rated framers are smaller catchers compared to taller guys for that reason.  When I umped give me a smaller kid every day of the week.