Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

16 minutes ago, zweem said:

Crochet AND Fedde ='s Skubal value- even this year. Probably the same trade cost or close.   And we can transform the WS if they add Robert, Kopach and Brebbia. Crochet used as an opener until late August.

Mayo, Cowser, Beavers, McDermott, and Johnson"  with Bradfield and with 5 players to be named later from a list of our players not likely to be R5 protected.

The dream deal.

For the White Sox. 

18 minutes ago, zweem said:

Crochet AND Fedde ='s Skubal value- even this year. Probably the same trade cost or close.   And we can transform the WS if they add Robert, Kopach and Brebbia. Crochet used as an opener until late August.

Mayo, Cowser, Beavers, McDermott, and Johnson"  with Bradfield and with 5 players to be named later from a list of our players not likely to be R5 protected.

The dream deal.

Sounds like a nightmare.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who cares?  All that matters is the playoffs. 

In a sense, you’re exactly right, but remember, we have to get there first, and two reliable pitchers every five days is not going to do it. 
And hoping that waiver wire pick ups will compensate for a good reliever for 50 more games is, shall we say, unwise.

I am in the group that wants to win the division because it is extremely important to avoid playing in a wildcard series, so we need to have the best team we can have between now and clinch day. That means not waiting until Coloumbe is back.

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

In a sense, you’re exactly right, but remember, we have to get there first, and two reliable pitchers every five days is not going to do it. 
And hoping that waiver wire pick ups will compensate for a good reliever for 50 more games is, shall we say, unwise.

I am in the group that wants to win the division because it is extremely important to avoid playing in a wildcard series, so we need to have the best team we can have between now and clinch day. That means not waiting until Coloumbe is back.

They are getting there, no doubt.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They are getting there, no doubt.

I am confident they will make the playoffs, but making the playoffs by itself is not enough. As I said, we want to avoid playing a wild card series. That means we need to win the division and we won’t win the division Unless we make meaningful acquisitions to include starting pitchers.

I'm biased of course, the Mayo family is close to me, and I want Coby to be an Oriole for years to come.But I will say this. If, somehow, someway Elias traded Mayo for anyone without ever giving the youngster a chance to even have a single major league at bat in an Oriole uniform, it would be one of the greatest mistakes the front office ever made in this franchise history. That is all.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm biased of course, the Mayo family is close to me, and I want Coby to be an Oriole for years to come.But I will say this. If, somehow, someway Elias traded Mayo for anyone without ever giving the youngster a chance to even have a single major league at bat in an Oriole uniform, it would be one of the greatest mistakes the front office ever made in this franchise history. That is all.

What if as a result of that trade, the  O's won a World Series?  Would it still be a great mistake?  I hope that Mayo stays in the O's system and I think he is likely to be the best player of the big 3, putting me on a small island with you and a few others.  I trust in Elias who knows more about these prospects' abilities than all of us to make the right decision.  Interesting point is I have heard rumors that Holliday and Basallo are on the table for the right deal, I have never heard rumors about Mayo.  Of course those are just rumors.

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I don’t think you will have to worry.  I doubt if any of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo or Kjerstad get traded.  Those four I think Mike Elias feels gives the Orioles long-term success over paying at a trade deadline.  No one they acquire can guarantee a World Series appearance.  

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What if as a result of that trade, the  O's won a World Series?  Would it still be a great mistake?  I hope that Mayo stays in the O's system and I think he is likely to be the best player of the big 3, putting me on a small island with you and a few others.  I trust in Elias who knows more about these prospects' abilities than all of us to make the right decision.  Interesting point is I have heard rumors that Holliday and Basallo are on the table for the right deal, I have never heard rumors about Mayo.  Of course those are just rumors.

My order to trade of the big 3? From the most likely I would trade to the least?

JH.

Basallo. 

Mayo. 

45 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

My order to trade of the big 3? From the most likely I would trade to the least?

JH.

Basallo. 

Mayo. 

I have been a big proponent of maybe JH being third best among that above list.  However, when you look at athleticism, eye, contact, and position flexibility it might be that he is the most sensible to hold onto for the future. This team needs a guy that gets on base, keeps the Ks down, and can play multiple positions if necessary.  I would keep them all though and just get a number 3 and a big bullpen arm. 

3 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

It mayo’s defense is as bad as everyone says it is, he’ll be Vlad Jr.

Not EVERYONE is saying it's terrible. I think he some throwing accuracy issues. So did a lot of players early in their careers.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

It mayo’s defense is as bad as everyone says it is, he’ll be Vlad Jr.

Mayo isn’t even the defender at 1B that Vlad Jr is. Mayo would be a liability right now other than DH. Which DH is a big role that we need right now. 

As for Suarez, some version of him as to limp us through the regular season. But… this could explain the Frankie Montas rumors. 

We could get a top SP, then a dude like Montas, just to eat innings to win the AL East or to start a Game 4.

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo isn’t even the defender at 1B that Vlad Jr is. Mayo would be a liability right now other than DH. Which DH is a big role that we need right now. 

As for Suarez, some version of him as to limp us through the regular season. But… this could explain the Frankie Montas rumors. 

We could get a top SP, then a dude like Montas, just to eat innings to win the AL East or to start a Game 4.

I feel most comfortable with Irvin/McDermott/Povich/Suarez only being rotation candidates if glass breaks. Bradish, Means, and Wells broke so that collection of guys have had to step up, to unsurprising results. I don't keep up enough with other MLB teams: would the Rangers be selling? If so, would Eovaldi and Scherzer be available?