Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

He also doesn’t get flustered. Leadoff homer to Altuve. No big deal. Got an inning ending GIDP ball with 1st and 3rd a few innings later. A GIDP for fly ball pitcher. Down 2-0, not a big deal either.

It’s not what we hoped for. But I’ll go war with Suarez and Kremer in the playoffs behind Burnes. Tough hombres. 

10 hours ago, 7Mo said:

A little bit more:

The Orioles under Elias generally are selective in signing minor-league free agents. They don’t like releasing such players in spring training, and prefer their draftees to get the bulk of playing time in the minors. Elias, though, said he entrusts Snyder and his pro scouting group to handle minor-league deals for pitchers. Special assignment scout Will Robertson and pro scouting analyst Ben MacLean, in particular, vouched for Suárez, Snyder said.

“We are always conscious of the difficulty of finding starting pitching. And we saw flashes with him over the years,” Snyder said. “He had been working in a length (role), throwing strikes. He had gained some velocity, starting in 2018 in relief, and sustained that a little bit in Asia. He (also) improved his secondaries.

“We sold him on an opportunity in spring training, that we would give him some rope. We didn’t promise he was going to make the rotation. We didn’t make any promises. If anything, we undersell things. And I think in the long run, that really helps us. When we say we have an opportunity, it’s a legitimate opportunity.”

Signing Suárez in September enabled the Orioles to bring him to their fall pitching camp in Sarasota, Fla., where he met their high-performance, training and coaching staffs. Assistant pitching coordinator Adam Schuck and minor-league pitching coordinator Mitch Plassmeyer developed a plan for him. A number of other coaches also worked with Suárez, helping him tweak his delivery so that he wouldn’t need to make adjustments while trying to make the club in the spring (Plassmeyer is now the major-league team’s assistant pitching coach).

“He opened our eyes from the stuff that was coming out of his hand,” Hyde told reporters when the team summoned Suárez to replace the injured Tyler Wells. “You see 96 and you see him throw his fastball by guys with life, and then the secondary stuff he was throwing for strikes also. And he kept doing it every five days. We were excited about it.”

Suárez was excited, too, telling Greenberg even after he got sent down, “This was my favorite spring training in a long time.” In Snyder’s view, Suárez returned from Asia as many pitchers do, more refined in his approach, more advanced in his craft. He also learned to pitch in front of large crowds, making the majors less intimidating than perhaps they once were.

It’s only two starts. But the Orioles appear to have nailed it again.

“They saw something a lot of people didn’t,” Greenberg said.

Thanks very much for this!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Big Al has to be the Find of the year. Wheres that Brick guy to tell us How Bad ME has been. What a year saurez is having.

He might be the only player on the 40 man roster for whom the board hasn't found something to complain about. He just continues to come up big for us. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He might be the only player on the 40 man roster for whom the board hasn't found something to complain about. He just continues to come up big for us. 

I'm not crazy about his first name.  Albert?  I mean, come on.  Coupled with his middle name of "Joe" (not Joseph mind you) and his name is a baseball train wreck.  I think Elias could have done better.   

🤣

• Haha 1

Now 15th among American League SPs in rWAR.

Just unbelievable contributions from a guy who I’d wager none of us had really even heard of before March — and most of us couldn’t tell apart from Andrew Suárez for most of spring training. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Now 15th among American League SPs in rWAR.

I suppose that could be interpreted as the data saying he is a #1 starter in the 2024 AL's context.

It will be interesting to watch how the club cooks down its top pitchers for tournament baseball.     Burnes and Eflin might be the only two charged with going more than once through the order.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing the 180 people have done in their attitude towards Suarez has really been something. 

Every. Single. Time. Berto has looked to me like the clock was striking midnight on him, he runs off another great game for the O’s. I’m the first to admit that he’s far, far exceeded any expectation that I have (or continue to have) of him. He might be the single most important piece of the roster this year. Without him filling the gaps from losing other starters, the O’s might not even be in a Wild Card position at all right now. He’s been huge and I’m happy to admit to being wrong about him time after time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing the 180 people have done in their attitude towards Suarez has really been something. 

Meanwhile, Adley is now some wimp who should be shoved into a gym locker and Burnes is an overrated hack.   To say there are a lot of fickle people on the board is an understatement.  Not everyone, of course.  Just more than I’d like.  

• Upvote 1