Player to watch Georgia 1B Rich Poythress

I don't know if the game I am watching right now is live or not, but the LSU-UGA is on and Poythress has gone 3 for 4 with two singles and just now an RBI double. Granted Poythress is known for his power, his speed for a man of his size is probably average to slightly above average. On the double to the opposite field, the right fielder was on the ball pretty quick, but he was able to get in to second standing up. He may be able to build more speed if he were to drop maybe 10 pounds, but I don't want to see him sacrifice his power numbers for more speed. Hopefully, he is around in the second round for us to take him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to jump aboard the Poythress bandwagon. I didn't realize he was such a good defender at 1B as he won a GG there in 2008.

The guy is flat out raking this year putting up a HR every 8.63 ABs, and given Ackley's struggles vs. LHP, I'd be inclined to take him over Ackley with the 5th pick.

RH 1st baseman with Poythress' power and defense don't grow on trees.

His swing unnerves me a bit, and I think he's a reach at Top 10. Posey played a premium position and played it well. He also showed the ability to play any position on the field, giving drafting organizations a lot of options.

I do like his power and the two games I've seen him I've been impressed. I don't think he's anything special at 1B -- at all -- but I could have caught him on bad days. Much more impressed with Wheeler's glove when I saw him.

I don't know if the game I am watching right now is live or not, but the LSU-UGA is on and Poythress has gone 3 for 4 with two singles and just now an RBI double. Granted Poythress is known for his power, his speed for a man of his size is probably average to slightly above average. On the double to the opposite field, the right fielder was on the ball pretty quick, but he was able to get in to second standing up. He may be able to build more speed if he were to drop maybe 10 pounds, but I don't want to see him sacrifice his power numbers for more speed. Hopefully, he is around in the second round for us to take him.

That was the weekend -- not sure if you were watching live or a re-cast, but it was at least within a day.

4-4 with 3 HR!!!!

Granted it was against Kennessaw State....but still that's a big night. You'd think they'd pitch around him or something...

He's a nice prospect but no where near a top 5 pick. Its a shame he won't last until Round 2, but he will be a nice pick up for someone somewhere between 15 and 25.

I'm starting to jump aboard the Poythress bandwagon. I didn't realize he was such a good defender at 1B as he won a GG there in 2008.

The guy is flat out raking this year putting up a HR every 8.63 ABs, and given Ackley's struggles vs. LHP, I'd be inclined to take him over Ackley with the 5th pick.

RH 1st baseman with Poythress' power and defense don't grow on trees.

Yes they do...I hear it constantly on here that first base is a really easy position to fill. That's why our system has been overflowing with first base prospects for years! ;)

The more I read the more I really like about this guy. If they took him, I wouldn't have a complaint. Markakis isn't a true power guy, and while Weiters has power, i don't know if he'll be a 40+ masher at any point. Adding Poythress could make this offense scary good 2-3 years from now.

Archived