The Marlins are officially selling. Tanner Scott for Povich?

The Marlins are officially selling. Tanner Scott for Povich?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Tanner Scott for Povich?

• Yes
    • No

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I took it as a joke. But if we’re going to DFA Baumann if we made this move, we might as well offer him to then. 

Sure, but I don't think that sweetens the deal for them even 1%.

I'm not against trading for Scott, or any other reliever at some point, but there's a bit of a jam at starting pitching for a moment. A couple of guys are going to be in the pen soon. Plus we don't have any idea about Grayson and when he'll be back. 

There's always work to do on a BP for most teams, but I think they'll exercise some patience until the starting pitching clears up.

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not against trading for Scott, or any other reliever at some point, but there's a bit of a jam at starting pitching for a moment. A couple of guys are going to be in the pen soon. Plus we don't have any idea about Grayson and when he'll be back.

There's always work to do on a BP for most teams, but I think they'll exercise some patience until the starting pitching clears up.

I think that if you're looking out beyond this season, you have to add to the calculation that there's maybe a 2% chance Means returns after this season, and probably only a 0.000001% chance that Burnes does.  So the SP log jam isn't quite as jammy as it currently appears.  

Rundown on the players Peter Bendix desired enough here to pull the trigger on a May trade.

Dillon Head 10.11.2004 commanded a $2.8M bonus as a high schooler...maybe Gunnar Henderson raw material just starting his pro career.

Jakob Marsee 6.28.2001, a $250k college bat, and Nathan Martorella 2.18.2001, a $325k college bat, less than half what Kyle Stowers commanded.    Mid level college guys doing fairly well.

Woo-Suk Go 8.26.1998 closed for 5 years in the KBO, and has been an average reliever on his AA Texas League team opening the season.

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Imagine starting a pool that goes 99% in one direction, and then trying to insult other posters as “facebook quality”

Imagine neg repping someone for an opinion on a discussion board. That’s a little…

I’m not afraid to have opinions against group think. The board gets boring if all we do is talk about Mason Miller or bust. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Imagine neg repping someone for an opinion on a discussion board. That’s a little…

I’m not afraid to have opinions against group think. The board gets boring if all we do is talk about Mason Miller or bust. 

You got negative repped because all you are doing is trying to do in the thread is say you are low on Povich, and carrying over that opinion from the minor league thread. Even if you are low on him and think he is at his peak value, proposing to move him for a rental reliever who walks a batter per inning deserves a downvote.

@sportsfan8703 is correct in that our approach should not be Mason Miller or bust (though Miller would be a great get IMO depending on costs). But is Tanner Scott the best we can do in the non-Miller category/quality?

I ask because the approach of a team that is as good as the 2024 Orioles should be - does this player have the capability putting us over the top/being a significant improvement in an area of weakness?

Is Tanner Scott any better than Craig Kimbrel? Because Kimbrel is the guy who probably needs to be upgraded in the pen to improve our chances in the postseason. Otherwise what's the point in adding another (potential decent to good) lefty to the pen? Is that something that we really need? How much would Scott really improve the team's chances in its pursuits of competing for the ultimate prize?

4 minutes ago, frankwhite said:

Why Povich? He's a free agent 2025. Seems like a deal could be made with other positions we have a surplus in... Odd choice

He accomplished his goal. Got your attention. He believes Povich is Bruce Zimmerman caliber, but want people who aren't on the Minor League board to know that opinion.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

You got negative repped because all you are doing is trying to do in the thread is say you are low on Povich, and carrying over that opinion from the minor league thread. Even if you are low on him and think he is at his peak value, proposing to move him for a rental reliever who walks a batter per inning deserves a downvote.

I don't know, I have downvoted a few times on this board, and it has always been when someone has said something completely off the wall inappropriate or offensive. It doesn't matter anyway, years ago neg rep affected you, now it's just a dumb red arrow from the same 5 or 6 names all the time and nobody cares what their opinion is for the most part.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

@sportsfan8703 is correct in that our approach should not be Mason Miller or bust (though Miller would be a great get IMO depending on costs). But is Tanner Scott the best we can do in the non-Miller category/quality?

I ask because the approach of a team that is as good as the 2024 Orioles should be - does this player have the capability putting us over the top/being a significant improvement in an area of weakness?

Is Tanner Scott any better than Craig Kimbrel? Because Kimbrel is the guy who probably needs to be upgraded in the pen to improve our chances in the postseason. Otherwise what's the point in adding another (potential decent to good) lefty to the pen? Is that something that we really need? How much would Scott really improve the team's chances in its pursuits of competing for the ultimate prize?

2024 Scott wouldn’t help much if at all.  2023 Scott was one of the elite relievers in the game.   If you believe the 2023 version is just waiting to break out after a bad start he makes sense, no matter where he slots in the bullpen.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We should have tried trading Santander for Scott in the offseason.

You’re talking about the OP hating on Povich. Your Santa hate is over the top also.