Szymborski: The Orioles Are Running Out of Lineup Spots

Frobby

53 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Not sure how Holliday coming bacK impacts Mateo…when Holliday comes back, he will likely continue to be sheltered or hidden from lefties, which is all Mateo does… 

Well the number 1 prospect in baseball hopefully isnt a platoon player long term. 

40 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Well the number 1 prospect in baseball hopefully isnt a platoon player long term. 

Not sure why my last post didn’t stick. 

but you’re right - but I fully expect he’ll be sheltered at least a month or two. Then Mateo could spell Mullins in cf against lefties, or actually give adley a few days off instead of dh’ing him all the time. Mateo has plenty of value on this really lefty heavy team for at least the remainder of this year. 

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah good article…. I wonder if Hays has a shot of being dealt when he’s ready to return.

He would need to start hitting at career average rates.  Even then what could the O's get?  Will be lucky to get a DSL lottery ticket.  I won't be surprised if Hays gets the majority of at bats when he returns unless Cowser starts hitting due to Hays' defensive superiority.  Hyde made sure that people knew that Cowser was just getting more at bats than Hays "for now".

7 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Our biggest need is a solid third baseman.

Phillies are doing ok w/ a below average 3B Alec Bohm.  It doesn't hurt that he has an OPS of 1.000.  I think Westburg is more than adequate.  Is his arm ideal, of course not.  Would you rather have Urias there w/ better defense and a nonexistent bat.  Getting another Machado or Brooks would be winning  literal lottery.  I think Westburg will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Then who will play 2B?

Mateo v lefties. Hopefully Holliday v righties. 

If you say we need a 3B or 2B, who do you propose we attempt to get? Genuinely curious. 

12 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Mateo v lefties. Hopefully Holliday v righties. 

If you say we need a 3B or 2B, who do you propose we attempt to get? Genuinely curious. 

I would hope Holliday would be what he was hyped to be.  Also would hope Mayo can field 3B or 2B and hit.  I don't want Mateo to be a permanent regular.

59 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Phillies are doing ok w/ a below average 3B Alec Bohm.  It doesn't hurt that he has an OPS of 1.000.  I think Westburg is more than adequate.  Is his arm ideal, of course not.  Would you rather have Urias there w/ better defense and a nonexistent bat.  Getting another Machado or Brooks would be winning  literal lottery.  I think Westburg will be fine. 

Urias has a career 103 OPS+. Had two hits and a walk today plus another squared up ball for an out. I feel like Urias is a bit of a forgotten man, but he is a very solid defender and an average bat. That's probably not good enough for us but that is because we are spoiled with plus guys at basically every position.

I agree on Westburg though, if Mayo doesn't end up with 3B, Westburg is adequate there and so far his bat can play for a corner IF. 

Hitting on Westburg and Gunnar the way we have really pushes our system over the top. These are guys we weren't necessarily counting on but they are turning into bona fide stars. Only question is how to find room for them all.

Westburg 3B makes Mayo the heir apparent at 1B. Somehow he needs to push Mountcastle but he's not a FA until 2027. Maybe he takes Santander's spot and Kjerstad keeps waiting. 

53 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I would hope Holliday would be what he was hyped to be.  Also would hope Mayo can field 3B or 2B and hit.  I don't want Mateo to be a permanent regular.

I can't imagine they have any expectation of Mateo going back to being a regular. If he's going on his annual hot streak, then it's smart to ride him until he gasses out, then shift him back to his reserve role. Holliday is taking that full-time spot soon enough. 

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He would need to start hitting at career average rates.  Even then what could the O's get?  Will be lucky to get a DSL lottery ticket.  I won't be surprised if Hays gets the majority of at bats when he returns unless Cowser starts hitting due to Hays' defensive superiority.  Hyde made sure that people knew that Cowser was just getting more at bats than Hays "for now".

Interesting……… Hays has no value but guys here want to give up our top pitching prospect for Tanner Scott who has 4 losses in 14 games. I think we should be able to get a decent reliever and a throw in or two. Hays is under control through 2025. Using the SSS slow start over his career numbers.