Szymborski: The Orioles Are Running Out of Lineup Spots

Frobby

Good “problem” to have.  Let’s hope Westy and Cowser keep producing but I think they’ve sorta cemented their places in the go forward squad.

Kjerstad replaces Santa permanently in 2025, so it’s really just an issue creating a spot for Mayo.

Gotta say... I certainly didn't see Mateo with an 800 OPS. Heck, I didn't think he would be 700+. Gonna be tough to take his ABs away if he stays in this range.  

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Gotta say... I certainly didn't see Mateo with an 800 OPS. Heck, I didn't think he would be 700+. Gonna be tough to take his ABs away if he stays in this range.  

He may not, but let’s enjoy the ride. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I think we know what Jorge is at this point. He can be useful to the club right now as a starter against lefties. However, once Jackson can cement himself, he's late inning defense guy/speed guy on the bases only. 

Hays, Urias and Santa likely won't be here next year.  That's three spots.  Elias could move (though I don't think he will) any of Mounty, Ced, ROH and Mateo.  

1 hour ago, Dunk35 said:

I think we know what Jorge is at this point. He can be useful to the club right now as a starter against lefties. However, once Jackson can cement himself, he's late inning defense guy/speed guy on the bases only. 

Not sure how Holliday coming bacK impacts Mateo…when Holliday comes back, he will likely continue to be sheltered or hidden from lefties, which is all Mateo does… 

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Hays, Urias and Santa likely won't be here next year.  That's three spots.  Elias could move (though I don't think he will) any of Mounty, Ced, ROH and Mateo.  

Why in the world would he move O’Hearn or Mountcastle? They are some of the best hitters on the team.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that once he starts struggling again they should give him a good two-three months to see if he can get hot again.

He'd basically be Jackson Holliday but a better defender, so there is that.

At end of day other than Holliday I don’t see much changing this year unless injuries. 

Except Mayo. I think he has a good chance to be a RH DH later on and in playoffs. 

I have been telling my wife for about 18 months that the Orioles had too many prospects for positions on the big club.  I didnt know what we would do about it.  She just said injuries will play a big part.  But so far we have not had much injuries and we have tons of our guys ready to play in the MLB.  

Like the article said we have rare "first world" problems.  The problem of figuring out what amazing prospect to play.  

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why in the world would he move O’Hearn or Mountcastle? They are some of the best hitters on the team.

Ideally, Elias/the O's would like to create room for Mayo.  No doubt Sig/Elias has different projections they are working on as far as which players to keep and which to trade/resign.  Mayo is one of the top prospects in baseball w/ some of the best power/EVs in the game, not just the minors.  If he can't play adequate MLB 3B defense, someone needs to go between him, Mountcastle or O'Hearn at 1B/DH between the trade deadline and opening day 2025.   Alternatively, Mayo has to learn the OF, which doesn't really make sense because the bat seemse MLB ready.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• 800 OPS in slumps is pretty good. Look at Druw Jones or Elijah Green. I believe he’s making some minor adjustments.
    • You are stating that he has a 52nd percentile throwing arm and that his throws are accurate.  Then stating he does not have a good arm?  Those are conflicting statements.  I'm seeing a 91 percentile for arm value, per Baseball Savant.  Moreover, he does not run like an old man.  A statement like that should be reserved for bottom tier percentile runners, not average or slightly below average ones.    I think his defense could continue to improve, yes.  He's only 25.  You are talking as if he's a guy in his early 30s, who is about to hit a cliff.  In Yankee stadium, he should be able to play adequate defense in RF for quite some time. 
    • Agree that Ottavino would be a good target. He’s somewhat similar to Cano in that he’s a lot better against RHB’s, but he’d still be a good add. I would still hope for an even better reliever (either in addition to him or instead of him if they’re only adding one piece) but he would definitely strengthen the BP.
    • That's why I said I don't think it's his top priority. But I do think he thinks about these scenarios. 
    • Yeah. If it were just Mayo for Skubal for 2+ years, you'd have to consider it
    • Not saying I disagree. It would be hard trade to make due to Skubal injury history.
    • I still need to write about Bill this morning. I saw the Celtics are going to the NBA Finals and thats one of the teams Bill played on. Bill played only two seasons with the Celtics in Boston, but was the sixth man for the 1985-86 championship team that is considered by many to be the greatest team in NBA history. Bill was great friends with Larry Bird,Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson and his all time favorite player, on and off the court was Bill Russell. Most people don't know it, but his entire life, Bill dreamed of being a Laker. Jerry West, a man I deeply respect in all aspect of the game, turned down Bill's request for a tryout, and Bill was hurt, and Bill never forgot the rejection. Bill was a rare mix of irreverent and traditional old school at the same time. He cared little for personal honors, preferring excellence in pursuit of perfection. But like all of us, HE was imperfect, and perfection is impossible in life because all of us are mortal. Still, I'd like to see the NBA come up with some sort of permanent honor commemorating Bill. It can 't be an honor that represents Bill's deep commitment to his citizenship, because theres already one, it's called the Walter Kennedy Award. Bill Russell has his name on the NBA MVP Award for the Finals, so theres another one not available for Bill. Still, I'd like to see Bill be honored in an award named after him for something that is not easy to quantify. Joy and love for the game. The player who most exemplifies love and joy, for the sport and for life itself. I don't know how you could even award something like that, but maybe the NBA could poll fans or coaches . Of course, Bill would scoff at some award in his name. He turned me down as an honoree for my charity(now in its 30th year) for many years because he never felt "worthy". And then finally he accepted the award ONLY if he could give the handsome honorarium to a wounded veteran so the vet could help buy a van outfitted for disabled people. What a human being Bill was. The NBA should try and remember him somehow, but it's likely they wont, not with a permanent honor. Because Bill was and will always be hard to quantify with any one award. So whether they do or don't remember Bill, is not really the point I guess. The fact is Bill will be remembered by millions as an original, a joyful soul, who lived every aspect of his life with wonder, passion, and that unquantifiable quality..joy. I have a painting Bill signed for me, that he only posed for if it included John Wooden in the painting. It's a dual painting of Bill and his coach. I see it on my wall now. The inscription says this: "To Roy, thanks for life. Beyond here, lies nothing". That's SOOOO Bill. And so I say today, Bill, thank YOU for (your) LIFE. Beyond here, lies your memory of everything you represented...and it's not nothing. Bill attended close to 1,000 Grateful Dead concerts in his life. He actually played congas on stage with the band several times including one concert at the Pyramid's in Egypt. Last night I found a lyric to a famous "Dead" song, and I want to end this post with those lyrics. Here's what he quoted from that song. "Thank you, and some other things to remember, because there’s a lot going on, We used to play for silver, now we play for life, Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right, I used to be a lost sailor, away too long at sea, now, I’m a tiger in a trance, a saint of circumstance, I sure don’t know what I’m going for, but I’m going to go for it for sure, there’s no time to lose, The first days are the hardest days, don’t worry about it, when life looks like easy street, there’s danger at your door, what I want to know is—are you kind, and will you come with me, it all rolls into one, but nothing comes for free, it’s all about the rhythm, good luck, shine on, thank you, BW.   --------------------------------------------------------------- WOW. Exactly.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now