Could Grayson Be the Solution to Our Bullpen Issue?

I posted this idea as a one off comment in another thread but thought it might get discussion as a separate thread.

We currently have five starters who are performing well even with Grayson and Wells on the DL. Arguably six if you include Suarez.

Kimbrel is having issues. 

What about putting Grayson in the bullpen when he comes back? He throws 98 (maybe harder for 1-2 inning stints) with matchup-proof stuff vs LHB's and RHB's. He profiles similar to Felix as a hard thrower who could nail down multi inning saves when needed. 

Grayson in the pen would give us a true three headed monster of Rodriguez-Kimbrel-Cano who could regularly take over games in the 5th or 6th.  Stretch Grayson out again next year when Means goes to FA and we get Bautista back. Could Grayson be more valuable to us in the pen this year than in a rotation that is already performing well? Terrible idea, or out of the box thinking that could win us the world series?

I hope that the Orioles would not be that short sighted with his development. He needs to be building innings from last year (not lessening) IMO. Given the project holes in the rotation next year (no Burnes nor Means) we will need the innings from him as a top 2/3 starter in the rotation.

We have the prospect volume to fix the bullpen (at the back end) without having to surrender any of the top 4 prospects that we have.

IMO I don’t think it would be wise to sacrifice the needed gains in his development for next year vs. being unwilling to part with players/prospects who have no projectable place on the team in the future.

I think you should be looking at the back end of the rotation for potential Kimbrel replacements. Suárez or Wells are possibilities. Cano is an obvious candidate. Grayson is not in the discussion.

I’ve read worse ideas on this board.

But I understand the push back. I think it is a lot harder to develop a quality starting pitcher than it is a closer. Although, I don’t know if there is data to support my theory. I just see so many more starters who failed because they can’t consistently get through the batting order over 5 innings, become decent high leverage relievers. 

I love the creativity and in theory it could very well work. But yea it would be malpractice from a value and development standpoint. If we get to the playoffs though and he’s either struggling, struggling to go deep into games or has just come off another IL stint and we still have a canyon in our bullpen, it would be worth a revisit perhaps. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I posted this idea as a one off comment in another thread but thought it might get discussion as a separate thread.

We currently have five starters who are performing well even with Grayson and Wells on the DL. Arguably six if you include Suarez.

Kimbrel is having issues. 

What about putting Grayson in the bullpen when he comes back? He throws 98 (maybe harder for 1-2 inning stints) with matchup-proof stuff vs LHB's and RHB's. He profiles similar to Felix as a hard thrower who could nail down multi inning saves when needed. 

Grayson in the pen would give us a true three headed monster of Rodriguez-Kimbrel-Cano who could regularly take over games in the 5th or 6th.  Stretch Grayson out again next year when Means goes to FA and we get Bautista back. Could Grayson be more valuable to us in the pen this year than in a rotation that is already performing well? Terrible idea, or out of the box thinking that could win us the world series?

I pitched this to my family a day or so ago. David Price came to mind and I’m sure there are other top starter prospects that were used in the bullpen. He could very likely become the shutdown closer we’ve been missing, and then some. And he could go back to starting next year. 

And yet I understand the backlash and hesitancy. Starting and relieving can be two different animals and we wouldn’t want to mess with his development. 

But I’ve thought about the same thing over the past few days with our starter excess and just knowing that Grayson is a dog and his A level stuff would play up even more out of the bullpen. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator