Could Grayson Be the Solution to Our Bullpen Issue?

I wouldn't take him off the starter tracks, not even in an emergency....  something else would have to be done first.  He just has too much value as a 1/2 in our rotation to waste it in the bullpen. 

For me Burnes, GRod, Bradish, Means and Kremer are starters.    Wells, Irvin and Suarez are  spot starters/relievers that can give the O's  3 to 4  innings when needed.   

I think Kimbrel needs a couple of days off between closer appearances.   The other two games Irvin, Suarez and at some point Wells can pitch the 7th through the 9th.   Cano, Coulombe and Perez filling in relief innings.  

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Making decisions based on what happened in 2014 (ten years ago) may not be the wisest when none of these players was on the team at that time (many were still children).

Matt Damon Aging: Trending Images Gallery (List View) | Know Your Meme

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Should the Dodgers start Ohtani at DH every game or make him the most dangerous pinch hitter of all time?  

I mean, can you imagine having that bullet in late innings to go to?!?!?

We're talking about Grayson Rodriguez here, not Gerrit Cole.  But yes I agree that Grayson should not be in the pen.

The suggestion is not out of the blue to put make an effective starter the closer.  The Braves did it with John Smoltz for a few years.  The difference was that Smoltz was in his mid 30s.  

I agree with others that Suarez or Wells could be the guys if the O's don't go out and trade for a dedicated closer.

19 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

We're talking about Grayson Rodriguez here, not Gerrit Cole.  But yes I agree that Grayson should not be in the pen.

The suggestion is not out of the blue to put make an effective starter the closer.  The Braves did it with John Smoltz for a few years.  The difference was that Smoltz was in his mid 30s.  

I agree with others that Suarez or Wells could be the guys if the O's don't go out and trade for a dedicated closer.

Yea the suggestion is out of the blue. It’s an absurd thought.

And Smoltz did that after he had TJ surgery.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea the suggestion is out of the blue. It’s an absurd thought.

And Smoltz did that after he had TJ surgery.

Eckersley was healthy when he made the switch, IIRC.  I could probably come up with a pretty long list of good closers who were starters initially.  Not that I’m advocating we try this with GRod.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Eckersley was healthy when he made the switch, IIRC.  I could probably come up with a pretty long list of good closers who were starters initially.  Not that I’m advocating we try this with GRod.  

Basically every closer was a failed starter at some point..including Rivera.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Basically every closer was a failed starter at some point..including Rivera.

Right, but the list of decent starters who became closers is much shorter.