Struggling Prospects

1 hour ago, Malike said:

If he's playing every day he should be around 160 ABs, not 88.

He's played in 35 games.  It looks like more than half of them are complete games.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

That is not accurate, as up until about a week ago Ortiz was platooning.

66 AB vs. RHP, 22 vs. LHP.  Not a strict platoon, but ass-backwards.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I will preface this by saying that the playing time of some of our rookies has not been handled well, but it's something we must consider. Are they just adjusting or will they not "get it"? Stowers has struggled, Holliday has struggled, Kjerstad didn't do well, Cowser has not been great overall, McKenna tears up AAA but not so much up at major league level. I think we are counting on having our major league roster mostly replenished with these and other young guys soon. Are we holding onto fool's gold or are they legit and just need playing time? Soon, we should see the departure of our entire OF. Can Cowser, Stowers, McKenna, Kjerstad cover at least two of those. Soon, Holliday and Norby/Mayo should replace Mateo and Urias. Can they do it? Thoughts?

As far as I’m concerned we’re batting 1.000.  Gunnar, Adley, Westburg.   Ortiz doing well in Milwaukee.  Kjerstad looked good at  the end of last year, tore apart AAA and then didn’t get AB’s.  I’m pretty confident he’s going to hit.  Holliday is 20 years old.    Cowser?   I  think he has a better chance of being an all-star than being a bench player or AAAA type.

Stowers and McKenna don’t belong in this conversation.

When I see Langford struggle,  Torkelson and Vaughn disappoint, Corbin  Carroll go through a sophomore slump, etc., I think we’re ahead of the curve.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could really use a pick me up from the minors but Mayo is probably the dude to give us that. Cowser gave us a huge lift early. Holliday failed. Cowser started slumping. Heston can’t play defense. Stowers can play better defense but has lots of Ks. Mayo has questionable defense. 

We really need Mayo’s defense to improve and Holliday to adjust his leg kick. 

As I've said many times...if the Orioles were really worried about Coby's defense he could either play LF or DH...O'Hearn is a below average outfielder but he could switch off with Mayo at LF/DH..I think the Orioles NEED Mayo's power potential in this lineup.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As far as I’m concerned we’re batting 1.000.  Gunnar, Adley, Westburg.   Ortiz doing well in Milwaukee.  Kjerstad looked good at  the end of last year, tore apart AAA and then didn’t get AB’s.  I’m pretty confident he’s going to hit.  Holliday is 20 years old.    Cowser?   I  think he has a better chance of being an all-star than being a bench player or AAAA type.

Stowers and McKenna don’t belong in this conversation.

When I see Langford struggle,  Torkelson and Vaughn disappoint, Corbin  Carroll go through a sophomore slump, etc., I think we’re ahead of the curve.

Great post. People look at AAA and see HR/BA/OPS and think that is the predictive factor of what is going to happen in the mlb, but if you actually read the scouting reports for years then you see that Stowers is just a role player type. Which can be really valuable. 

Also, the “homegrown” crowd really underrates all things Westburg.

Kjerstad couldn’t crack this lineup because as of right now he’s a below average defender in COF.