Sunday May 19: O's vs Mariners

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Navigating all these games in all these days, this kind of is a garden variety scenario if Irvin can protect all seven of his reliever teammates today.

Though I see Jacob Webb up so I guess Hyde's playing it straight.

Makes too much sense to use Irvin out of the bullpen if he's not going to start the next few games.  3 innings of Irvin.  Almost fresh bullpen tomorrrow.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

His pitch counts this year:  82-100-90-98-89-97-95-95-85 (average 93).

He's at 93 now.

So chances are they won't have him go over 100.  So we are looking at maybe one more batter if he did come back out.

Is it worth it to get one more batter out of him?   When that opens the possibility of bringing Webb or whoever in with a man on base instead of with a clean inning?

I'd lean against it.  If there was a chance of him completing the inning and still staying at 100 or less I'd be in favor.   But that seems unlikely.   Or if there was a righty due, and then a couple lefties, and you had a lefty ready to come in.   But that's not in the case.   R-R-R due for Seattle.

I'd let him throw another inning. Geez... if we're really looking at a 6-man rotation he can't go over 100 pitches?

Just now, Jagwar said:

I'd let him throw another inning. Geez... if we're really looking at a 6-man rotation he can't go over 100 pitches?

Actually I believe they have said that it will be a modified 6 man rotation, where Burnes is often going every 5th game and the other guys will work around that.

4 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I'm actually really hoping that Kirby can give them at least one more inning today.  The fresher the Mariners bullpen is when they roll into New York tomorrow, the better. 

Kirby gave them a sixth inning.

Now I'm really hoping that Seattle won't need to have anybody pitch in the bottom of the ninth.