Why does it so often appear that Oriole hitters do nothing for 5-6 innings?

Are you aware that the Orioles haven’t trailed after the first inning in the last 20 games, the longest ongoing streak in MLB?  They scored 5 in the first inning on Friday and then 5 in the first three innings on Sunday.

The O’s are 8th in MLB in runs scored per game in innings 1 - 3.  They’re 12th in innngs 4-6.  They’re 2nd in innings 7-9.   So, they are above average in all three segments of the game, and elite at the last part of the game.   

Now let me ask you: would you really prefer that that pattern was reversed?  Or would you just be complaining about why we can’t score at the end of the game?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Oriole rank in runs by inning

1   13th  (23)

2   8th   (27)

3   15th   (24)

4   10th   (24)

5   18th (19)

6   9th   (27)

7   5th  (35)

8   25th   (15)

9   8th   (18)

Keep in mind that they’ve played the fewest games of any team in MLB.  If you did this on a per game basis, we’d move up several spots in most of these innings.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are you aware that the Orioles haven’t trailed after the first inning in the last 20 games, the longest ongoing streak in MLB?  They scored 5 in the first inning on Friday and then 5 in the first three innings on Sunday.

The O’s are 8th in MLB in runs scored per game in innings 1 - 3.  They’re 12th in innngs 4-6.  They’re 2nd in innings 7-9.   So, they are above average in all three segments of the game, and elite at the last part of the game.   

Now let me ask you: would you really prefer that that pattern was reversed?  Or would you just be complaining about why we can’t score at the end of the game?

There is something to what Roy says.

Overall in MLB this year:

• vs a starter 1st time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .694
  • vs a starter 2nd time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .694
  • vs a starter 3rd time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .755
  • [4th time and beyond, only 114 plate appearances in all of MLB this year:  .725]

So it is expected that you will do your best work the 3rd time through the order vs a starter, and will be a bit worse off the first time through.

The Orioles on the season (keep in mind we are a way better than average offense so our overall #s should in general be better than the MLB average):

• 1st time:  .658 OPS 
  • 2nd time:  .817 OPS
  • 3rd time:  .816 OPS
  • 4th+ (7 plate appearances): 1.572 OPS

So we are a very slow starting team, so far this year.   We have a well above average offense that is actually significantly below average the first time through the order vs a starter.

I don't know why this is... but so far it has been the case.   I'll not that before the Seattle series the numbers were even more extreme, we OPSed just .615 1TTTO when I looked it up last week.   Maybe with time this will even out, but the point is, Roy isn't imagining things.   At the start of the game, we are a below average MLB offense this year and as the game progresses we get way above average.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

There is something to what Roy says.

Overall in MLB this year:

• vs a starter 1st time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .694
  • vs a starter 2nd time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .694
  • vs a starter 3rd time through the order, all MLB teams OPS .755
  • [4th time and beyond, only 114 plate appearances in all of MLB this year:  .725]

So it is expected that you will do your best work the 3rd time through the order vs a starter, and will be a bit worse off the first time through.

The Orioles on the season (keep in mind we are a way better than average offense so our overall #s should in general be better than the MLB average):

• 1st time:  .658 OPS 
  • 2nd time:  .817 OPS
  • 3rd time:  .816 OPS
  • 4th+ (7 plate appearances): 1.572 OPS

So we are a very slow starting team, so far this year.   We have a well above average offense that is actually significantly below average the first time through the order vs a starter.

I don't know why this is... but so far it has been the case.   I'll not that before the Seattle series the numbers were even more extreme, we OPSed just .615 1TTTO when I looked it up last week.   Maybe with time this will even out, but the point is, Roy isn't imagining things.   At the start of the game, we are a below average MLB offense this year and as the game progresses we get way above average.

Hey Steve A, I appreciate the backing...(sort of kidding) but I watch every game, and it is RARE when the Orioles jump out to a lead early.I never said it never happens, but mostly it doesnt. And we also rarely get a pitcher in trouble with high pitch count early...im sure FROBBY will debunk my theory, statistically, but it sure feels the way..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Keep in mind that they’ve played the fewest games of any team in MLB.  If you did this on a per game basis, we’d move up several spots in most of these innings.  

23rd in scoring runs in the first, even with fewer games is still not very good...agree?

To me, it's more about offensive inconsistency game to game. I don't do the research that many others on here do, I just go off of what I see and feel. And I feel like this offense is very inconsistent and it's an all or nothing approach. There's been back and forths on social media about whether the lack of walks is going to hurt this team long term especially in the post season. In addition to the walks it's the impatience on many nights that drives me crazy. Also, the lack of station to station baseball.

Last night, I felt like it was nothing but attack attack attack.. clearly after a couple innings this approach was not working so why not change it up a bit? And also, no one is talking about that after we got Gray out of the game, we didn't do jack **** against their bullpen. The bullpen guys (excluding Hensley) do not have Gray "stuff". So what's the explanation for why we didn't even have a hit after we knocked Gray out?

If these trends continue, yes, we may not get swept (because we'll hit enough HRs), but it'll be difficult to rattle off long winning streaks which unless they fall apart due to injury, will make it difficult to keep up with and overtake NY (they just won 7 in a row and like 10 of 13?).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

23rd in scoring runs in the first, even with fewer games is still not very good...agree?

You’re reading that post wrong.  The O’s are not in 23rd place, they’ve scored 23 runs.  That ties them for 13th place.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re reading that post wrong.  The O’s are not in 23rd place, they’ve scored 23 runs.  That ties them for 13th place.

OK , my bad. But 13th place isn't great either...and we have much better hitters than others do...just my opinion.