The 2024 Trade Deadline

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah ….Getz is an idiot. He has serious injury concerns. 92 innings already after 24 innings last year and nothing they are before. A smart team would limit his innings or shut him down soon. 

Even if we were to worst case shut him down for the year or move him to the bullpen, that’s a hell of an arm out of the pen and we get him as a starter for the next 2 years 

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve really buried the rangers and a sweep would be nice. They’re most certainly sellers now. A small measure of revenge. Everyone talked up Verlander being the perfect fit last year. Well it wasn’t for us, but Scherzer as a rental makes a lot of sense this year. 

I had to do a double take at who was posting this 😀. Welcome aboard the Scherzer bandwagon 

As I’ve said all along, you need someone like Kjerstad, or better, to get a #1 type, for example, Crochet.

To get a mid rotation like Fedde or Quantrill it’s going to take less.  We can get someone like Tanner Scott and Fedde without using any of our top 4.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

So now that Kjerstad is a legend and we can’t trade him… how we getting that pitching? lol 

As crazy as it sounds our best bet might be trading Holliday for a #1 starter. The way our infield is currently set up (assuming Mayo gets promoted soon) JH could be a player A) with excess value, and B) we can actually afford to lose in a trade. 

7 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

As crazy as it sounds our best bet might be trading Holliday for a #1 starter. The way our infield is currently set up (assuming Mayo gets promoted soon) JH could be a player A) with excess value, and B) we can actually afford to lose in a trade. 

No.  Trading MVP level players is never a smart thing to do. You could argue that Westburg is the smartest to trade if you feel comfortable with Mayo at third. 

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No.  Trading MVP level players is never a smart thing to do. You could argue that Westburg is the smartest to trade if you feel comfortable with Mayo at third. 

He was referring to Holliday , not Henderson. You could argue Westburg, I couldn't

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Yes possibly, 3 months ago he had ROY potential, hows that look now. I'm a big a homer as anybody but pump the brakes a little.

The later he could be doesn’t change because of a terrible bad first stint in the majors. He’s still the number one prospect in baseball for a reason. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I voted no only because Scherzer turns 40 this month and is only signed through this year. We dont know if we're getting vintage Scherzer. It wouldnt crush me if the O's made the trade and Scherzer was lights out dominant though.
    • And after this discussion yesterday, Holliday hit a HR last night in the 8th.  Love to see it.
    • The edit I would make is for it to be anonymous, and allow you to change your vote. Scherzer is scheduled to start on Th. If he has another 5 IP 2ER or less start then he probably prices himself out of McDermott.  Things to consider from Texas’ perspective, - They’re in the same boat as us going forward.  They need depth, but with their position group, they need pitchers that would have playoff start upside. - As defending champs with a ton of unfortunate injuries, they might stand pat if they get within 4-5 GB of the playoffs.  Heck, maybe they pull an Angels and buy.  I heard Jung is coming back soon.  
    • Same. That's a guy I want taking ABs in the playoffs. 
    • I don't see why both wouldn't be great to add. It's not like the Orioles HoF is some hallowed institution. Let em all in, it's fun, who cares.
    • You get a 26 man roster in the playoffs no matter if it’s for a best of 3, 5, or 7 man series. So as far as position players available you’d have, 3 game series - 15 5 games series - 14 7 game series - 14 My 5/7 game series roster of 14 position players would look like this, vs RHP 1. Gunnar SS L 2. Adley C S 3. Santa RF S 4. O’Hearn DH L 5. Mountcastle 1B R 6. Kjerstad LF L 7. Westburg 3B R 8. Mullins CF L 9. Mateo 2B R McCann, Cowser, Urias, Mayo, EBJ - Holliday could beat out Urias, maybe even start over Mateo. He’s got a chance. - Mayo could beat out Mountcastle, or he could bump Westburg to 2B. - EBJ is our Terrance Gore for this postseason. 
    • Any player can be traded in the offseason. During this season, I would not subtract much from the MLB 26 man roster. The chemistry of this team is such a big part of how they win. Urias, Kjerstad and several pen arms could go, depending on the return.  Urias probably has to go so Mayo can come up. Let Westburg focus on 2B. I think Kjerstad is going to go in a deal. I don’t think he is an integral part of this team. Very good hitter and a better fielder than some think.  I think Norby and Stowers are quite available. I think McDermott and Povich could be had, but we would have to get big arms back so that we have decent pitching depth. Any prospect other than Holliday and Mayo could go at the deadline. Basallo is not untouchable for me, but it would have to be a tremendous deal that makes us WS favorites and controllable assets for years after. Perhaps a Garrett Crochet type deal. We need at least two reliable legitimate back end pen arms, one who can close sometimes is a must. Kimbrel is no longer good back to back. More legitimate depth would also let Cano and Webb not pitch in every close game.  We need a legit playoff SP, a #2 type. If you “all-in,” then you need to upgrade the pen and rotation dramatically. It will be costly though. 
  • Popular Contributors